Koodo Community
Question

5G speeds ?

• 24 August 2023
  • 10 replies

Hello! I recently switched to a 5G plan and did a couple speed tests today and they are all at 4G speeds. You would think that this would be all automatic but is there anything that I could do? The speed tests I ran were on speed test.net and fast.com

This topic has been closed for comments

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

The 4G plans limit you to 100Mbps where the 5G ones limit you to 250Mbps.

If the towers in your area only provide you with 100Mbps speeds, then then 5G plans won’t do anything extra for you in that specific area.

Does your phone display 5G at all?

Thanks for responding. Yes the bill does say 5G but I am definitely limited to 100 megabits per second. I know Kamloops has 5G Towers. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

It’s possible there’s some issue that didn’t change the speed cap for you. If you like, I can flag a rep to look into the matter.

That would be amazing, thank you

Userlevel 2

I just joined the club, again. I have a Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra with 5 G. I live in Sylvan Lake, AB. Can someone please check if my 5G access has been activated. I came from Bell with my phone, cause they”done me wrong”.

Please flag an inspection on my new account for 5G service.

Thanks

Brian galllagher

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

You can see if youre connecting to 5G. You can check that you're in an area with 5G coverage by reviewing the coverage map here:

https://www.telus.com/en/mobility/network/coverage-map

Then since you have a Samsung, check in settings, connections, mobile networks, network mode, and confirm that you have “5G/LTE/WCDMA/GSM(auto-connect) “ selected.

Let us know if both are the case and you still don't show as having 5G

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @n0ly 

We have reviewed the details on our end, and the you are indeed on a 5G plan, which means that the 100Mbps cap shouldn’t exist anymore, but instead it should be 250Mbps cap, since you are on the 5G plan.

That also depends on the coverage in the area. Are you getting 5G signal on your device and when you do, the speed test always show 100Mbps? Please try also on speedtest.net

Have you tried resetting the network settings and did you check if your device is up to date?

Thank you for the reply. I have reset all of my network settings, which unfortunately reset all of my Wi-Fi and Bluetooth settings. Anyway the only options that are selected are lte/wcdma/gsm.

My speed tests are 80-100mbps on my S20+ 5G phone. Kamloops has good coverage. Maybe I need to stand by a tower ? Haha. Have a good weekend.

Darryl 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Anyway the only options that are selected are lte/wcdma/gsm.

My speed tests are 80-100mbps on my S20+ 5G phone. 

Darryl 

@n0ly these two statements definitely support you still being n 4G/LTE.  Can you check the specific model number of your device and see if it has a “985” in it (e.g. SM-G985, SM-G985F, SM-G985F/DS) or a “986” (e.g.  SM-G986, SM-G986F, SM-G986F/DS, SM-G986U, SM-G986U1, SM-G9860, SM-G986B/DS, SM-G986N, SM-G986B, SM-G986W).  If it is a 985 model, then it is LTE-only, but if it’s a 986 model it should be 5G capable and there’s something else going on.  You should be able to find the model number in the About Phone section of Settings.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@n0ly actually I also reviewed a similar thread of someone having trouble with an S20 FE 5G, which is in the same model family as your S20+.  And it sounds like bad news. Please see this reply:  

Right after that reply is someone with an S20 5G with the same issue.  I think it’s safe to say there’s a problem using the S20 series on Koodo or PM if you want 5G, and there appears to be no path to resolution.