Skip to main content
Question

Wi Fi Calling While Traveling Internationally

• 30 August 2022
  • 8 replies

My understanding is that I can still use wi fi calling while traveling internationally without incurring any extra charges and without using Easy Roam?  Can anyone confirm if this is correct? And does this mean that if my phone is in airplane mode, I can still use wi fi calling?

And secondly, can anyone tell me if I can access my voice mail, through wi fi, without incurring any extra charges and without using Easy Roam?

(I’m not sure if this matters, but we will be traveling to Italy).

Thanks so much for any help you can provide.

This topic has been closed for comments

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

“Wi-Fi Calling is only available in Canada. When you’re outside Canada, your phone will not allow Wi-Fi calling or messaging. This feature is available across Canada.

Note: If using Wi-Fi calling while roaming, roaming charges will apply.”
https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/wifi-calling

Thank you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@User Name Did you mean using wi-fi to make calls over apps like whatsapp, viber or even Facetime? That’s different than wi-fi calling. JUst make sur you are indeed connected to wi-fi and not a local network. Best to keep phone on airplane mode, or even take SIM card out temporarily. 

@User Name Did you mean using wi-fi to make calls over apps like whatsapp, viber or even Facetime? That’s different than wi-fi calling. JUst make sur you are indeed connected to wi-fi and not a local network. Best to keep phone on airplane mode, or even take SIM card out temporarily. 

Thank you. In my original question I did mean wi-fi calling, but this is good to know. I hadn’t thought of using FaceTime with just wi-fi. So, just so I understand, we could use Messenger or FaceTime on wi-fi without triggering any roaming or pay as you go charges? And also, if I put my phone in airplane mode, and make sure wi-fi calling and roaming are turned off, I shouldn’t incur any roaming or pay as you go charges? Do I have this right?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@User Name Correct. If you want to be extra cautious I would suggest to not turn back your phone phone from airplane mode when you land. Just use wi-fi. If not possible plan to use Easy Roam on one or two specifics days.  Those days you will be able to use your phone just like back in Canada. Calls, text, data for the daily rate of Easy Roam.

Thank you. Your suggestion is exactly what we plan on doing although I do know we will use Easy Roam on some days. So we are planning on that. And while I have been going through as much information as I can find on Easy Roam and how it all works, it is sometimes confusing. So thanks again for your response. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@User Name Should have all the details on Easy Roam here:

https://www.koodomobile.com/en/easyroam

Thank you again. I have seen that section and been through it. Just trying to iron out some of the smaller details now. But once again I do appreciate you taking the time to respond.