Koodo Community
Question

Why does koodo think I am in a different country?

• 28 April 2023
  • 2 replies

I was viewing my new home, great time for this to happen!! While I was there I got a notification saying ‘Koodo: Welcome to USA. Roaming pay-per-use rates are $1.60/min, data $10/50MB, outgoing text messages $10/100 texts (up to 160 characters per text). All incoming texts are free. Visit koodo.com/easyroam for more info’. And the other two messages that come with it. The thing is I went about 20 minutes from my current home, in the same country, not close to the border. Am I going to be charged for using data in another country even though I never left?

This topic has been closed for comments

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

US cell towers seem to have extensive range. To prevent unexpected roaming charges, it is best to turn off automatic network selection and manually select Koodo as your mobile network operator. Additionally, disabling data roaming can help avoid these charges. If you would like us to flag a rep to look into this matter, please let us know.

Alternatively, you can wait until your next bill arrives and review it for any roaming charges. Feel free to return to this post if you require help in flagging a rep to investigate this matter.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hello there, 

I recommend you take a look at this thread where exactly the same thing happened :