Koodo Community
Solved

What or how does one update MMS

• 26 January 2024
  • 10 replies

1. Koodo sent out emails telling people to upgrade the MMC and other thing -can’t remember what it was. I thought my device was updated.
  2. Apparently, not. I can’t send receive anything. 
  3. I don’t remember what all it said exactly but my ‘device’ is a brick right now.

Do you know where I can find a copy of the upgrade notice so I can talk to my device manufacturer and if they even have a upgrade.

TIA - for being here and helping

~v

icon

Best answer by Oliver C 26 January 2024, 22:09

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

10 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Hi there,

so as Koodo and other phone companies use better technology, older devices will no longer be compatable with their network for what you saw known as MMS ( multi media messaging services) which includes things like calling and texting. There will be another wave of people affected by this on February 7th as well. If you check this link out it outlines what features will be taken away and why 

https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/picturemessagingchanges

unfortunately though, if your phone is already as up to date as is supported and you cannot use it at all, you will probably just have to upgrade the device to something newer. I met someone recently who had a similar issue and they just ended up having to upgrade 😅 it’s unfortunate but they can’t keep the older tech around forever.  I hope this information helps 🙂 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Does your data and Talk work?

When did you get this email?

What is your device?

Hi there,

If you check this link out it outlines what features will be taken away and why 

https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/picturemessagingchanges

unfortunately though, if your phone is already as up to date as is supported and you cannot use it at all, you will probably just have to upgrade the device to something newer. 

I know the scam. It’s leapfrog. A way to sell more devices.  Then software that costs needs to updated ($$$),  for new (defined as old) hardware repeats the process. IMO, we pay more thws days for things we don’t want then we did 20+ years ago.

I just dove into the stalker ream and became a prisoner with my own cell last Dec./23 BUT, it’s a Librem (Linux flavoured) AKA L5.  I know - Koodo doesn’t support it.  Koodo is same as all others, they only support SMIRC devices.

Yes. Your information helps.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Well, have a nice day then.

Well, have a nice day then.

Hmmm. You haven’t indicated who you’re trying to help. Am I sup[posed to find a answer in that?

Does your data and Talk work?

When did you get this email?

What is your device?

No. Just Wi-Fi

23/10/24

Librem L5 (Like Android - linux).

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Honestly it's still weird that everything got bricked because of whatever Koodo is doing to MMS. All the more so they list non-Canadian sold phones as well as a potential issue. It used to not be an issue with Koodo but now certain features seem restricted/ “guaranteed”only to Koodo sold or Canadian market sold phones.

The librem phones are pretty rare so I'm not familiar with specific troubleshooting. Did you try resetting your APN and reinserting your Sim card?
If you cannot reset network settings specifically and the above doesn't work, you'll prolly have to flash the device. As I understand it, it gets the latest update  automatically when you do this. Just be sure to backup wharver you want.

If it still won't work at all, let alone MMS, I think that you'd have to indeed reach out to the manufacturer or community forums for librem for more insight/assistance on the mater.

The librem phones are pretty rare so I'm not familiar with specific troubleshooting. Did you try resetting your APN and reinserting your Sim card?

If it still won't work at all, let alone MMS, I think that you'd have to indeed reach out to the manufacturer or community forums for librem for more insight/assistance on the mater.

To let you know my level of phones, I’ve no idea what a “APN” is.  unfortunately bought what was advertised.  As for reinserting the Sim card, should phone be on or off and powered down?

~V

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

To let you know my level of phones, I’ve no idea what a “APN” is.  unfortunately bought what was advertised.  As for reinserting the Sim card, should phone be on or off and powered down?

~V

It is best to power off your phone prior to removing/inserting the SIM card. Most phone manufacturers recommend this.

As for APN settings, the link below describes how to find these settings. APN is short for Access Point Name. The definition of an APN goes into greater detail here. One of the contributors in that community offers a Tips & Tricks guide for the Librem5.

You can use this page to compare/verify Koodo’s APN settings with the APN settings on your phone. I am not familiar with this device. The layout likely differs from that of Android or iOS in terms of where to locate the APN settings, perform a network reset or get a software update on your phone. The community may be able to better assist.

Check mobile settings | Purism Community

Tips & Tricks | Librem5

Thanks @rikkster . I’ll work on it tomorrow and hopefully check  this the solution.