Skip to main content

Hi!

Travelling to the US from Canada for a week.

It is looking like the best option for me is to purchase an eSim once I get to the US, I really like that I can download & set up before leaving Canada! However, I'm trying to figure out how to have texting included. I see that Saily doesn’t include texting but Airalo has the option but also includes calling, which I don’t need.

Without going into a major rant about what I've gone through w/Koodo w/r/t removing the easy roam, I’m 100% unwilling to use either their easy roam or the pay per use option and want to avoid any opportunity for them to ding me.

SO I guess my question is,  will taking my Koodo sim card out for the duration of my trip avoid any chance of being dinged for roaming for data or texting? Or do I have to go that far?

And am I understanding correctly that by removing my sim card & using the eSim in the US, it won’t be my phone number that shows up if I text someone?

I’m glad there are other cheaper options out there, but boy are they confusing when you aren’t super iPhone literate! 

TIA:)

Hi @AmyCDC 

If you take your Koodo sim card out, there won’t be any charges.

If you decide to keep the Koodo sim in the phone, we recommend checking the two articles here to prevent unwanted roaming charges. (incoming text message do not trigger roaming charges)

https://community.koodomobile.com/plans-services-232910/easy-roam-understanding-how-you-will-be-charged-while-traveling-7811296

In case you wish to use your Koodo in the US, we recommend checking in self serve as you might be able to select a Canada US plan.

Please note that you might not be able to switch back to the same plan you currently have.

More about Canada US plans can be found here For more info about how to prevent accidental roaming charges, please check out this article https://community.koodomobile.com/plans-services-232910/easy-roam-understanding-how-you-will-be-charged-while-traveling-7811296

When sending text messages with a US esim, it will be that US number that will be showing up.