Koodo Community
Question

using eSIM only on pixel 6

• 20 September 2022
  • 4 replies

I am on a bring-your-own-device post-paid plan and I have recently purchased a Google pixel 6 to replace my old Samsung. The Pixel 6 comes with only one SIM card tray: I want to switch my phone number to eSIM to keep the one tray available for local SIM cards when I travel. To my dismay, the dude at my local Telus-Koodo store tells me this is not possible: that there needs to be a physical SIM card in the phone and that eSIM is only for additional lines (???) This is contrary to what the Koodo FAQ page says... What game are they playing? 

This topic has been closed for comments

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

The rep was likely just confused on how esims works.
Ask them simply to purchase an esim and then you can swap your number to the esim yourself in your selfserve account.

I'll just try another koodo shop... Thanks

eSIMs on android devices seem to be a new thing and not all koodo/telus employees are up to speed on this. On my visit to a third shop I insisted that, unlike iphones, there was no need for a physical sim. This is mostly growing pains and, frankly, lack of training. Got the eSIM setup with QR code very easily at home.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Even with iPhone, you could activate and add eSIM later. US iPhone model even didn't have physical SIM to activate.

The issue was indeed raised before. Probably the training manual need to be written clearer.