Koodo Community
Solved

Unapproved Roaming with my Phone Number

• 3 September 2021
  • 9 replies

Hello,

I received a roaming alert by Koodo. The e-mail stated:

Looks like ***-***-3260 is roaming on a USA network. Just so you know! . . . 

I am in Canada. Someone else would be currently roaming with my phone number in the United States, or somewhere else.

How can this unapproved using of my telephone number be ended?

I have not activated roaming in my account. I cannot block this kind of third party roaming. I cannot call Koodo in this matter; and I don’t find any assistance online.

What can be done?

Sincerely,

Rene

icon

Best answer by rikkster 7 October 2021, 03:50

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Are you close to a border? Perhaps your phone picked up a US cell tower. If you get charged for roaming you can request a call back via the digital assistant and ask them to reverse the charges. You can also contact them though Twitter DM if you prefer.

Meanwhile, make sure you disable roaming in your phone settings so it can't happen again 🙂

Hello Sophia,

We live about 10 kilometers away from the border with the United States.

Roaming is disabled on my phone. I have never activated roaming in my Koodo account.

I asked Koodo to contact me because it is possible that someone is intentionallymisusing my telephone number.

Thanks for your information and advice!

Kindly,

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

It’s good to be diligent, but I can almost guarantee that your account has not been misused. Just a fluke I’m sure, and Koodo will definitely compensate the cost :)

Good luck with that. 
You cant get hold of any at koodo and I wonder how much they pay this people trying to help here? 

If you are helping a mega corp you should get paid. DONT do free work for them. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Good luck with that. 
You cant get hold of any at koodo and I wonder how much they pay this people trying to help here? 

If you are helping a mega corp you should get paid. DONT do free work for them. 

Anything we can help you with? There are both reps on here that are paid Koodo employees and us Mobile Masters who get compensated in various ways as well for our efforts.

got the same thing with my account did find any resolution? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

got the same thing with my account did find any resolution? 

Did you happen to be close to the American border? This is usually the cause for seeing this message without being in the US.

not close to border. roaming is turned off on the phone. I'm also getting the welcome to the US roaming text.

thought maybe the email might have been a spoof but with the text message it doesn’t look like it. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

not close to border. roaming is turned off on the phone. I'm also getting the welcome to the US roaming text.

thought maybe the email might have been a spoof but with the text message it doesn’t look like it. 

@rob123 If you reside in Belle River, Ontario, the distance to Detroit is roughly 33 kilometres driving. Closer if you draw a straight line between Belle River and Grosse Pointe, (approximately 19 kilometres).  I’d say that’s pretty close to the U.S. border.

I would suggest turning off automatic network selection. This way your phone stays on the Koodo network and doesn’t stray onto U.S. networks. Now if you reside in Belle River, PEI, then that’s a different story.

For iPhone, go to Settings > Cellular > Network Selection and slide the toggle switch to the off position to disable automatic network selection. When the list populates with available carriers, place a checkmark next to Koodo. Done!

For Android, manual network selection settings vary from one device to the next but are usually found under Settings > Connections > Mobile networks > Network operators - tap ‘Select manually’. It will take about 30 seconds or more to scan for available networks. Select Koodo from the list and a ‘registered on network’ message should briefly appear. There’s no need to reboot your iPhone or Android device because this setting is already saved.