Koodo Community
Solved

Third party faud

Can someone please help with how to resolve a fraudulent third party charge?  Koodo is not helping and the runaround I’ve been given has taken so much of my time.  Thank you!

icon

Best answer by Boa_Guy Koodo 11 April 2023, 21:43

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Can you provide us with more details?

Do you have the name of the fraudulent third party in question?

We will need a little more information so that we can better direct you to the help you need. The link below shows examples of third-party billing vendors and how to stop future charges or how to contact the vendor.

Hello @rikkster, thank you for your reply.   Today is day 17 of chasing a resolution. 

The erroroneous/fraudulent charge for $109+tax+interest. 

I’m now being charged interest from Koodo because this matter is still not taken care of and I’m not paying for something I did not purchase.  

• Koodo said I had to contact the third party. 
  • I contacted the third party (BOKU),  who directed me to contact Microsoft (where the apparent purchase came from).  
  • I called Microsoft, after several hours of being bounced around, Microsoft checked my account and it shows no recent activity/downloads/purchaces/action. 
  • Microsoft told me they can not do anything since nothing shows up on my file and I need to call the third party BOKU.  
  • I emailed BOKU.  
  • I called BOKU, waited on the phone for 3 hours 47 minutes for them to hang up on me. 
  • Just received an email from BOKU saying I need to contact Microsoft!!!!

Please don’t make this dreadful time consuming circle continue to take me away from my actual job!

I look forward to seeing your amendment to my account and to be removed from all third party sneaky billing. 

Thank you for your help @rikkster.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

You can request to have a specific third party  removed but I'm not sure yet if it's an option to remove the option entirely.

This is a tough situation in finding a resolution. Koodo would say you'll need to go to the third party for the refund I imagine. We can flag a rep here if you like if there's something more they can help with.

Did you ever sign up for boku? When you spoke with Koodo previously, was how it got approved confirmed? If you never saw or received texts confirming registration and such, did Koodo show the sms history confirming registration from your phone number?

Hi @Goran , yes please I would love your help in flagging a rep! 

I never heard of BOKU before this and I’m not an online shopper so wouldn’t have signed up for anything intentionally. 
I did not even realize a SMS verification was needed until I read comments on this community.  I did not receive verification text and Koodo did not show me any proof other than the unknown amount on my bill.  I can not afford to pay for something I did not purchase.

As for being removed from third party purchases - Koodo told me they have thousands of vendors and I would have to contact each one individually!  They removed me from the only one they claimed they could.  They also claim they do not have a list of these vendors for me to contact!

So, they have thousands of vendor clients they make a percentage off, but no list of them??  Right.

I think this is so dirty of Koodo not to request my approval before billing my account. 

It is shady Koodo feels the need to conceal this sly transaction in the fine print rather than making it more obvious in the contract.  They know most of us would opt out if we knew it was there and had a choice in our own account.  

Since they refuse to remove us from the list or deactivate us from third party purchaces, they should have our individual consent for each purchase made.  The request for approval should come from Koodo as well, not just the third party, especially since they are not willing to stand up for their trusting clients.

Thank you for this info @Goran.

So disappointed in you Koodo, thought you were better than this.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Just to double check, the $109 charge is usually either for Microsoft Office or an Xbox subscription.

Have you or anyone in your household recently purchased/renewed a Microsoft office or Xbox subscription or game?

Thanks @Allan M, as I said - Microsoft has has no new subscription in my name.  Also, about 3 weeks before the mystery charge added, I had already purchased a MS subscription.  Why would I buy a second one?

Is there any chance of getting this sorted or do I go straight to BBB?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Thanks @Allan M, as I said - Microsoft has has no new subscription in my name.  Also, about 3 weeks before the mystery charge added, I had already purchased a MS subscription.  Why would I buy a second one?

Is there any chance of getting this sorted or do I go straight to BBB?

This bill would be from your last months charges so it’s possible that a purchase from 3 weeks ago is on this bill.

Is it possible that you charged it to your phone bill instead of a credit card? Or do you see the charge on your credit card for this subscription as well.

@Allan M 

OMG!!!!  Once again - This is 100% NOT my charge!  This is FRAUD or THEFT from Koodo.

Instead on continuing on the path of it being my charge - do you have any advise on how to get this fraudulent charge + tax + interest taken off my Koodo bill?  

I refuse to pay for something I did not agree to.

The accusations to me are just increasing my frustration. 

I would also like to know how I can be removed from any further charges.   Don’t tell me I have to contact your thousands of third party companies that you apparently don’t have a list of. 

If you don’t know, that’s fine, please just say so. 

@Goran , @rikkster  - any advice?  Or please lead me to someone who may have this information.

Thank you all so much for your assistance.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Sorry that my message came across accusatory!

I just always like to check off all the boxes. We have had COUNTLESS people come to the community and when we dig into it, it ends up being something as easy as the scenario I just asked about so that’s why I asked.

I’ll flag a Koodo rep for you. It’ll probably lead down the same rabbit hole that you previously were in but at this point there’s nothing more we can do on the community. Hopefully one of the reps here can be a little more more helpful than what you’ve experienced so far.

@Allan M , thank you so much, I do appreciate you help.🍬🍬🍬

Also, as a tech support person myself, I do understand that it is usually a user oversight.  I have just been over this for so long, I am immensely frustrated as everyone I have spoken to at Koodo, just reads the same script. 

Thank you @Allan M for your patience with me, I look forward to a quick resolution. 🌺

Sorry, NOT RESOLVED. 

I just wanted to click that I liked your response, did not mean to say this issue is solved and now can not ‘unsolve’ it .  My bad. 😕

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi there, @ilike  We have verified your account, and we can tell you that the purchase was made on 02/08/2023 at  05:33 PM. 

Microsoft Store allows customers to purchase content from Microsoft for their computers and consoles with the option to be billed directly to their  Koodo/TELUS invoice. This content includes Xbox, Office 365. Some services are subscription based. Koodo/TELUS is not the provider of these services but enables the billing on behalf of the vendor Boku.

How it works

Step

Description

Customer adds their phone number as a payment method to their Microsoft account.

Customer navigates to a Microsoft website where they attempt to purchase a game, app or service, and they are presented with the option to pay with their mobile phone.

Customer is sent a text message with a temporary PIN code.

Example of advice of charge: Enter code 123456 in the Windows or Xbox Store to enable charges to your mobile phone.

Customer will receive a purchase confirmation to their email associated with their Microsoft liveID.

Customer receives the requested service.

We suggest checking your incoming SMS on the date provided above, as there is no other way to activate the service for it to show up on your mobile bill. 

You can call Microsoft support for any disputes. 1-877-696-7786.. 

We hope this helps clarify things for you.  

Thanks @Boa_Guy Koodo .  You might want to read the above as I did say I have contacted MS and I have nothing other than the one subscription I bought and paid for on my credit card on Jan 3. 

I also said,  I have never received and confirmed any code from your third party.   As the phone company due your due diligence and have a look at my bill and you will see I DID NOT receive any code for approval.  

I am tired of the time-consuming run around I have been forced to endure for the last 22 days.  As I said, I have contacted Koodo, BOKU and Microsoft with each company sending me to the other.  No one wants to take responsibility for accepting fraudulent charges. 

If Koodo is okay to make this mess, I expect Koodo to clean this mess up. 

How will this be resolved and when???   

Please no more condescending answers, I have wasted far too much of my limited time trying to clean up your mess. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Unfortunately my additional advise is...limited a this point. Allan really only meant to confirm a surprisingly common scenario where someone had completely forgotten or misunderstood how they paid.

I mean, I would ask for an explicit response that sms X was received at time y stating z. You could try escalating further beyond Koodo if you continue to have no resolution. Some sort of final resolution may not come to your satisfaction and you’re going to run into a timeline where if you don’t pay, this will start to impact your credit score at 30 days past due and beyond. This would become collateral damage if you refuse to pay until you feel you got a proper resolution.

To put it bluntly, I am quite disappointed how Koodo as a corporation (the reps here do their best with the situation)  has been handling third party charges. But I cannot say in this instance where the final fault is. Boku is the vendor that microsoft uses, so it’s unlikely that boku is purposefully being fraudulent. There is a small possibility that an app you recently downloaded may well have created a backdoor for this to occur, but it’s a relatively rare occurrence difficult to prove.

I see that Boku says all charges are non-refundable. At this rate you may have to escalate with Microsoft.