Koodo Community
Question

Switching from Fido

• 14 July 2022
  • 7 replies

I like many others I bet, am investigating switching my 2 cell phones and their numbers to Koodo.

I pay for them both on one account at Fido and they are of course two different numbers - that seems to be an issue when changing to Koodo.

Online I do not seem to have any way of paying for two SIM cards and phone plans. If I go into the store they naturally want you to pay for an activation fee which means $100 in my case - they seem to suggest they will throw in the SIM cards for free, or they will charge $10 each for them if you want to do the activation online.

Online those cards are $5 and there is no activation fee so a saving for me of $90 BUT you can only do one phone at a time.  Clearly the online person wants you do the sale through them and the retail store wants the same - I just want a simple way of truly choosing one or the other - as a retiree I prefer to save where I can!

Is there no way  of making this simpler and making sure I will get my numbers ported?

Can I order one phone with a plan online then immediately order another with the same plan and get them automatically coupled together for billing?

More importantly can I be assured that the numbers will be ported correctly?

Hope someone can clarify a simple method for me to use.

This topic has been closed for comments

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

The numbers will port correctly. That’s not an issue. I would suggest setting up Koodo plans first and then porting over from Fido. There is a time delay as a fraud prevention measure when doing multiple lines. If you’re patient, I’d suggest porting one line over, and then after the minimum number of days (I’ll flag a rep to confirm the current wait time or if it can be removed) you could port the second line onto the same account.

I’m in the process of doing this myself. You can order one SIM card and plan online, then wait for Koodo to email you your account information which allows you to setup Self Service. This usually takes a day or two. Once you have Self Service setup you can login to your account and add an additional line to your existing account. This seems like the most effective way to do it. Once you receive the SIM card you can port over one number, and once you receive the SIM card for the second line you can port the second number. I’m not sure if there’s a waiting period between each port since the response from @Goran suggests this may be the case.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @gdayCDN 

As @swotam suggested, if you are looking to sign up for a BYOD plan on each line, you should be able to add the second line as soon as the first line gets activated.

Once both lines active and you get the sim card shipped, you can then go ahead and proceed with the transfer of the numbers over to Koodo.

More about the port process, you can find here: https://koo.do/PortIn 

Thank you very much Goran and swotam.

I have used the online process to order one SIM card and a plan. I will monitor to find out the minimum number of days and then add the second line as suggested.  It all makes sense to do one at a time and your explanations really helped. I am not in big rush really - one on the way!

I REALLY appreciate your speedy replies. 

Ooops - another question.

A friend of mine is also looking at Koodo but she has relatives in the US and does communicate each month. Presently she can get 500 mins of voice for $10 a month plus 500 texts for another $10 a month from Bell. and would like something similar if possible.

I have looked everywhere but cannot find any Koodo equivalents.   Does something exist? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@gdayCDN

Except for 3G speed plans, most of the current Koodo plans include international text messaging: https://www.koodomobile.com/rate-plans?INTCMP=KMNew_NavMenu_Shop_Plans

Current US calling add on available with Koodo includes unlimited calling to US for $15 a month: https://www.koodomobile.com/add-ons?INTCMP=KMNew_NavMenu_Shop_Addons (there are some restrictions to specific phone numbers, that are going to be charged pay per use, more details are available in the add on description)

Thanks Flo Koodo.

I seem to have run into a problem re. my application for an account. For some reason my application was rejected due to a credit check which makes no sense - no debts, always pay on time etc and have done so for about 40+ years.  I have a feeling it is because my credit card expires next month and I did not activate my new card which came in the mail a week or so ago - corrected now - so I will try again in a few days. Luckily there is no mad rush. If it doesn’t work I will look elsewhere.