Koodo Community
Solved

Since recently moving to Koodo from Rogers I have noticed quite lower response time on my phone especially in downtown Toronto.

• 3 December 2021
  • 3 replies

Since recently moving to Koodo from Rogers I have noticed quite lower response time on my phone especially in downtown Toronto. 

Anyone else?

icon

Best answer by srlawren 8 December 2021, 19:54

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@Robdude96 Not sure what exactly you mean response time. If it’s speed, typical speed I get in Toronto on an Iphone 8 is about 150mbps. Very decent. That said sepped/response varies by phone type, by location and lot of other things. We could be standing side-by-side and end up with different speed test results. What is being hindered by the “response” time you are seeing?  

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@Robdude96 are you seeing this in comparing speed test results?  While speed tests can be fun for bragging rights, a lot of times big differences you see in test results don’t really pan out in day to day use, similar to how hardware benchmarks you see in device reviews give you a synthetic view of relative performance that you may or may not ever notice in real life usage.

I’m not saying speed tests have no practical value.  If on the other hand you’re seeing actual noticeable degraded performance, they can be helpful to confirm that there is an issue rather than just perception.  Are you noticing real-world differences?  

Actually come to think of it: you said you were a Rogers customer previously, right (and not Fido, Rogers 2nd tier and Koodo equivalent)?  If so, and depending on your phone model and plan, you may have had access to their 5G network in at least some locations.  I’m 99% sure that Koodo (and probably Fido and Virgin Plus, the competitors’ 2nd tier brands) only offer up to 4G LTE access and not 5G.  It’s possible this could explain some degraded performance, maybe?  If so, it’s not really an apples to apples comparison. 

EDIT: confirmed that all current Koodo plans offer 4G LTE data (except the “basic” plans that includ throttled 3G-like speeds), and that Fido does not offer access to the Rogers 5G network either.  So if you were on Fido before, you should get a similar experience here, whereas if you were on the 1st tier Rogers network, you likely had 5G data at least some of the time. (As you would also at 1st tier Telus and Bell brands).

Thanks for the reply, srlawren. From March 2018 I was with Rogers 1st tier using a Samsung Galaxy S9. Since the move to Koodo when traveling in the city, walking or transit, my location update seems to lag and does the presentation of data from other users in the apps I use.

I will review with Koodo a possible phone update and perhaps a move to Telus 1st tier for the performance I have become accustomed to within Toronto.

Rogers lost my business due to their recent governance and management shenanigans. I have other business with Bell and did not want a sole supplier situation. 

Cheers!