Koodo Community
Question

Scam or real?

• 24 November 2022
  • 5 replies

The person claiming to be a koodo agent offered to bump up my data from 4Gb to 15Gb for the same amount paid.  They knew a lot about my account. Then asked for personal information to verify my account that it was me. I did not do that as Koodo already has this.

Is it normal for Koodo to ask for account numbers and birthdays to verify accounts?

This topic has been closed for comments

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@Cliff Wardle I can see that someone reached out to you via a call. I can verify that was a call from us. Not sure why the rep asked you for the account number as we have all the info as you mentioned. I think they may have just wanted to verify that you are the account owner and are authorized to make changes to the account in the household.  So the call was real, not a scam, but it’s always good to be on the safe side!

Thank you. He asked me for the account number and my birthday, as well as my address and email address. I had no problem with my address and email address, I but didn’t want to provide the others due to Sim Swapping scams. 

Thank you very much - appreciated.  So that offer to increase the Data on our accounts - is that still valid?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@Cliff Wardle Indeed the offer is valid. They should have left a contact info for you. Or call you back after this confirmation. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Thank you. He asked me for the account number and my birthday, as well as my address and email address. I had no problem with my address and email address, I but didn’t want to provide the others due to Sim Swapping scams. 

Thank you very much - appreciated.  So that offer to increase the Data on our accounts - is that still valid?

To add on to Bernard, if you have a postpaid plan, you can add on the Port Protection feature to prevent any incidents of the SIM card swap scam. https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/port-fraud-protection

Thanks - really useful.  I had a Call back scheduled for 4pm, 3 days after I requested it. We got a text to say the call back was imminent about 10 minutes to 4pm, and then nothing.  At around 6:15 they called when I was out walking the dog and my wife wasn’t really up to speed on the deal.  She asked them to call in 30 minutes but she said I had to request another call-back.

I guess I will request another call-back then.

Thanks for your assistance through this chat though