Koodo Community
Question

Receiving texts while I'm abroad

• 19 November 2022
  • 14 replies

Hi,

I need to receive texts time to time for a verification to log into some websites in Canada. (no any other options) I’m in Japan and trying to receive texts but it hasn’t worked so far. Do I need to do anything special in order to receive texts while I’m in Japan? 

Thanks

This topic has been closed for comments

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Could you share a screenshot of what you currently have for add-ons on your account?

This is what I have. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

When you arrived in Japan, did you receive texts from Koodo like this?  TT hen simply reply ROAM to activate the easy roam.

No, I didn’t get that text when I landed in Japan. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

No, I didn’t get that text when I landed in Japan. 

When you log into your self serve, do you see "International Voice Roaming" option as an Add-on?

Yes, I see international voice roaming $0 as an add on option. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Yes, I see international voice roaming $0 as an add on option. 

Ok. Add it and restart your phone.

Make sure your Data roaming is set to off.

Ok I’ll give it a go. 

Still no success…

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hmmm,  I can flag a rep and ask them to check your account.  But, it going to be a while since it's late here😉 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Marhythm 

Is your phone currently connected to a network in Japan?

If not, please search for a network manually and once your phone connected, if possible, try testing with a friend to send you a text message and see if it comes through. (incoming text messages are free while roaming, any other usage will trigger the pay per use charges or Easy Roam fees, if added to your line)

Please keep us posted. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Still no success…

To add on to Flo’s comment, you can refer to this list of international service providers that are partnered with Koodo and manually select the ones mentioned in there. 

It took my phone a while to recognize networks in Japan. But I finally sorted it out and received texts! Thanks everyone for your help! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

It took my phone a while to recognize networks in Japan. But I finally sorted it out and received texts! Thanks everyone for your help! 

Enjoy your stay in Japan😃