Koodo Community
Question

Porting landline as a second number

• 30 July 2023
  • 5 replies

I have a business that I’ve always had a landline/answering machine for - I have no desire to give my personal cell number to clients. But I also need to be able to be contacted on event days when I am on deliveries.

I’ve been told I can port my landline to my iPhone as a secondary number - and that my iPhone supports esim and will let me know which calls/texts are business and which are personal.

But how do I do this?? I can’t find any information online about it….

This topic has been closed for comments

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I have a business that I’ve always had a landline/answering machine for - I have no desire to give my personal cell number to clients. But I also need to be able to be contacted on event days when I am on deliveries.

I’ve been told I can port my landline to my iPhone as a secondary number - and that my iPhone supports esim and will let me know which calls/texts are business and which are personal.

Would you like to keep your landline service? If so, you may want to look into call forwarding instead of porting your landline number. Once you transfer the number over to Koodo, your landline service will be cancelled with your existing carrier.

Otherwise, you can create a new line and port it over to Koodo, so you do not end up losing your cell number. You will need to schedule a callback through Koodo Assist and it will take a few days for the transfer. https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/moving-your-number-koodo

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Cheaper to port your “landline” to VoIP and have those calls forwarded to your iPhone.

Use the VoIP service app to make business calls from your landline or iPhone so that your outgoing call number shows as your “landline”. Some VoIP services support a mobile app that let you handle their calls without reference to your current cell service at all.

That way you maintain disinct voicemail for each line, can put the “landline” to sleep during non-business hours, and don’t have to pay for a second mobile plan.

Will just chew thru some extra data on your cell.

Would you like to keep your landline service? If so, you may want to look into call forwarding instead of porting your landline number. Once you transfer the number over to Koodo, your landline service will be cancelled with your existing carrier.

Otherwise, you can create a new line and port it over to Koodo, so you do not end up losing your cell number. You will need to schedule a callback through Koodo Assist and it will take a few days for the transfer. https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/moving-your-number-koodo

Oh I didn’t realize that. The problem with call forwarding is that it doesn’t work for texting. I’m in the wedding business and if a planner needs to get hold of me with a text then the call forwarding doesn’t work. The business number has been in place for 13 years, so I hate to change all the places I have it listed. It would be easier to calls/texts come to one place as long as I can tell the difference between the business/personal.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Oh I didn’t realize that. The problem with call forwarding is that it doesn’t work for texting. I’m in the wedding business and if a planner needs to get hold of me with a text then the call forwarding doesn’t work. The business number has been in place for 13 years, so I hate to change all the places I have it listed. It would be easier to calls/texts come to one place as long as I can tell the difference between the business/personal.

Port business line to VoIP that can handle SMS, such as Callcentric.com. They can forward texts to your email as they are received.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

My wife had the same situation for her business.  This is what we did.

• She likes her koodo plan for her personal line (koodo and Public Mobile are owned by Telus).
  • She found a plan that works for her for her business through Rogers (or Fido or Chatr) since Telus and Rogers do not share cell towers.  In her case she signed up for a Chatr prepaid plan (which does not support esim).  The reason she went with a Rogers family network was if a network outage occurred, she wouldnt be left with both numbers down at the same time.
  • So after signing up, she purchased an esim voucher from Koodo for her personal koodo line since the Chatr sim had to be a physical sim (https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/esim-and-esim-vouchers)
  • and then she completed a sim swap from her old koodo sim to the new Koodo esim.

https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/koodo-sim-support

If you choose to go with Koodo for both lines you can do the same thing.  if the new business line will be with an esim:  

1. Just sign up for a new plan
  2. Then go to a koodo kiosk and purchase an esim voucher
  3. Complete the sim swap from physical sim to esim.  Verify calling and data and texting work with the temporary number given to this plan.
  4. Port your business number over to Koodo on this line

https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/moving-your-number-koodo