Koodo Community
Question

Poor Rural reception

• 23 June 2022
  • 6 replies

I just moved to a different part of town on central Vancouver Island and only have reliable calls when using Wi-Fi calling. I am considering changing service providers, as Rogers and others seem to have better coverage in my area of residence. An easier option would be to switch from Koodo to Telus, but I’m not confident that will resolve reception issues. Can anyone advise?

This topic has been closed for comments

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I just moved to a different part of town on central Vancouver Island and only have reliable calls when using Wi-Fi calling. I am considering changing service providers, as Rogers and others seem to have better coverage in my area of residence. An easier option would be to switch from Koodo to Telus, but I’m not confident that will resolve reception issues. Can anyone advise?

Telus uses the same cellular towers as Koodo and Public Mobile. It also applies to Bell, Virgin Mobile, and Lucky Mobile, whom rely on the same towers. 

If it is confirmed that your area has a better connection with Rogers, you are better off porting out. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Technically, Telus and Rogers allow their customer to roam on other network where other network was non-existent or weak. You could try to disable Automatic network selection and select “EXT” and see  if you can find any signal.

Also, which phone are you using and are you a prepaid or postpaid customer?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Prepaid customers don’t have access to EXT roaming… if you are with the Telus family network, you won’t automatically pick up Rogers towers.

This site may give you a better idea of local reception:

https://www.scadacore.com/tools/rf-path/cell-tower-map-canada/

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@Kaye Marie Cee Not sure where on the island you have moved but we have very good coverage in  a lot of the areas. Bear in mind that connection has other dependencies too, like type of phone and its proper settings,  the specific location you may be at any moment of time, your surroundings etc.  Switching to another carrier may or may not provide you an improved connection at any one location, it could aslo mean that everywhere else you may experience a degraded service.  If you would like to schedule a callback we can see if there is anything with your device that can be adjusted, like refreshing its connection to the network or something else. 

We live in a rural area near Uxbridge Ontario. We used to easily get 4 or 5 bars every day. Since a few months ago, we are lucky to get 1 or 2 bars. This is true for all 4 phones in family and also home phone. Not sure if a tower got damaged in the big storm? But if it doesn't improve soon we will have to reluctantly switch back to a carrier that uses rogers 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

We live in a rural area near Uxbridge Ontario. We used to easily get 4 or 5 bars every day. Since a few months ago, we are lucky to get 1 or 2 bars. This is true for all 4 phones in family and also home phone. Not sure if a tower got damaged in the big storm? But if it doesn't improve soon we will have to reluctantly switch back to a carrier that uses rogers 

It should be noted that this post was made more than a month ago. Please create your post by scrolling to the top and click on the right-hand corner of the page.