Koodo Community

Phone spammers spoofing other people's numbers

• 2 March 2023
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 2

I was pretty bagged, so I decided to catch 20 winks during the lunch hour.  Of all the times I would get a call about Amazon charging me $99 and pressing whatever number to speak to a representative, they chose this time to call.  I was very angry at having the rest of my day tanked, so I called back the caller's number a few times until it was redirected to voicemail.  It was a Koodo voicemail service.

Afterward, it occurred to me that spam callers might spoof the numbers of others.  Google confirms that this is common.  So I unintentionally became an evil harasser, and a rather primitive one at.  It seems that there is no way to escape phone scammers.  Blocking spoofed numbers doesn't seem to be useful.

This topic has been closed for comments

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Koodo has an add-on called call control that you can add-on to your account.
It requires the user to enter a randomly generated number from 0-9 in order for the call to go through to you.
If they don’t enter it or don’t enter it right, then the call won’t go through. If it’s an automated spam call, then you’ll simply stop receiving them.

Userlevel 2

That’s intriguing.  If the call doesn’t make it through, would it go to voicemail?  That would allow me to identify legitimate robodialers.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

No I dont believe it gets through to voicemail

https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/call-control

Userlevel 2

Thanks, Dennis.  I didn’t see it on the page that you cited, but it wasn’t clear.

How might I suggest to Koodo that a good evolution of the service is to allow robodialers to go to voicemail, perhaps as a user-selectable switch?  Both you and Allan are “Mobile Masters” -- do you have a point of contact to which you can provide user feedback?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Thanks, Dennis.  I didn’t see it on the page that you cited, but it wasn’t clear.

How might I suggest to Koodo that a good evolution of the service is to allow robodialers to go to voicemail, perhaps as a user-selectable switch?  Both you and Allan are “Mobile Masters” -- do you have a point of contact to which you can provide user feedback?

You can suggest that as an idea

https://community.koodomobile.com/topic/new?type=idea

Userlevel 2

Thanks, Dennis!

Userlevel 2

I created the suggestion here:

If you agree with the idea, please upvote.

Thanks!