Koodo Community
Question

Moving to a place with minimal to no Koodo service. How do I get out of my plan?

• 12 September 2022
  • 2 replies

Moving to  a place with minimal to no Koodo service.  How do I get out of my plan?

I tried a new phone, and a new SIM card, but now I’m locked in *because I tried what options I had,) and the house I’m moving to I can barely get any service.  Minimal text text messages is all I Can send out.  I did everything I can (new phone, new SIM, tried a different phone,) but now I’m locked in, and moving to a location where I can’t use my phone, but Koodo wants $1000 to get out of my plan.  What can I do?

No, its not in the middle of the countryside.  It is right in Brantford, ON, and there is nothing to mess with the signal… I found out the neighbout had to cancel Telus because it only got worse.

Should I go to the Better Business Bureau?

This topic has been closed for comments

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Well, when you sign a contract with Koodo, there was a 24 month period that they asked you to accept (which you did). They also gave you a trial period so you could test out. 

Breaking the contract would be costly. You can try to sell your current phone and see how much you can get out of it and pay back (if you insist to move away).

If you would like, you could go to BBB or CrTC and see what they say. 

Regarding the service, if you are having issues with indoor signal, I suggest you use wifi calling and see if it can help. https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/wifi-calling

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@mikeb - Are both phones on your account having the same issue? Any idea what providers your neighbors are using? Are they having similar issues?

Unfortunately, there is little we could do since the trial period for the new phone has lapsed. As Dinh mentioned, WIFI calling works wonders. If not, you can also consider a cell phone signal booster. They can sometimes be a little pricey but my father ended up splitting the cost of one with his neighbor at the cottage.

Alternatively, if you must move to another carrier, the good news is that you would be able to simply bring over your new unlocked phone to them and most likely end up paying a little less on your monthly plan since you would have completely paid off the phone.