Koodo Community
Question

Koodo US partners will no longer support 3G effective July 1, 2022

My Google pixel 3a settings are indicating VoLTE and ‘preferred network type’ as LTE. (My understanding is LTE is a variation of 4G.) AND the phone works fine. Separately Koodo on June 28 sent me a text msg: “our US partners will no longer support 3G mobile devices. You’re currently using a 3G phone that connects to 3G networks. To stay connected in the US you need to replace your phone with a 4G or 5G capable phone. Could someone pls reconcile the conflict: LTE is working fine and ‘need to replace your phone’. Thank you, Bob.

This topic has been closed for comments

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

What’s the issue if it’s working without a problem? I’m surprised that you got the message given it’s a newer phone. 

The pixel 3a was released May 2019, discontinued July 2020, and support has ended. Further it has been succeeded by the pixel 4, 5, and 6 models, the latter Oct 2021. The US partner discontinuance was effective only July 1, 2022. It’s working in Canada. It would be best to replace it IF IT’S A MUST prior to traveling to the US. If anyone has a concrete specific answer based on fact to my inquiry I’m looking forward to hear from you. Thank you, Bob.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Koodo’s website states anything Pixel 3 or newer and the 3a would fall under the category.

https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/volte
As well, Telus shows specifically that the 3a will be okay and it being Koodo’s parent company means you’ll be okay.

https://www.telus.com/en/support/article/how-to-use-volte

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Check out your phone IMEI on the T-Mobile Bring Your Own Phone eligibility page as if you were going to sign up with them. https://www.t-mobile.com/resources/bring-your-own-phone

Success.

The reply from tmobile (US cell svc provider) after entering my IMEI number was:

"""

You’re all set.

Your device is compatible with the T‑Mobile network and can take advantage of our most powerful signal, Extended Range LTE.

Google Pixel 3a

This device is fully compatible with T-Mobile’s network technology.

This device is not blocked from use on our network.

"""

CAUTION: The above results are untested.

Clever angle BobTheElectrician!

Thanks for specific tools and rationale Allan.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

@iRobert I got the same message as you.  Phone is only a couple of years old...did Koodo just screw up and sent the message to people that shouldn’t have gotten it? Can I just ignore it? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@iRobert I got the same message as you.  Phone is only a couple of years old...did Koodo just screw up and sent the message to people that shouldn’t have gotten it? Can I just ignore it? 

Which phone do you have?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Yes. Some customers with phones that are ok were sent this message by accident too 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Some customers may have bought an incompatible phone from Koodo in the past so were being offered a heads up.

Just a caveat: non T-Mobile phones that will work on their network may or may not support some premium features but you will be able to talk/msg/surf at full speed. I had an older LG from at one time T-Mobile that did not support Koodo’s version of VOLTE. It’s pretty common for the premium bells and whistles not to be 100% carried over, but you will not be without a decent connection.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I also have a friend visiting the US right now and they were able to use their phone on the 2G network for talk and text. This was in the SF Bay area. Of course no guarantee this will Continue or will work anywhere else. 

Background

PS my pixel 3a is running android V 10.

I’m back in Canada now and it’s successfully running VoLTE and preferred network type LTE.

Per BobTheE I ran my phone IMEI on the T-Mobile Bring Your Own Phone (for the US) eligibility page and it was successful, details in my post above.

Question

I’m a late adopter to upgrade operating system(s).

And I’m thinking the android V 12 upgrade might give me some improvements to 4G to increase my confidence when I’m in the US in December.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_version_history#Overview

Are you thinking I should just upgrade to V12 now, or wait until October-November 2022 when’s it’s more patched?

Thanks,

Bob