Koodo Community
Question

Koodo trade in program and Certified Pre Owned phones

• 14 November 2021
  • 3 replies

Can I use Koodo’s trade in program on Certified Pre Owned phones? And if I have to go into the store for this transaction, does that mean I have to pay the $50 connection fee that I wouldn’t if I purchase online?

This topic has been closed for comments

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

While you could, I suggest that you do not. There is a 99.99% change you would get a lot more by selling the phone yourself on Kijiji or FB marketplace. Trade-ins are greatly undervalued.

My understanding is that you would get charged if you use the credit to purchase a phone. Ill find out.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Certified pre-owned phones can not be purchased in store.

What you can do instead is buy the pre-owned phone in store, then go into a Koodo store and ask for the trade-in later program in which they will give you a shipping label to send off your phone. When the trade-in company receives it and verifies its condition, they will send you a credit in the form of virtual mastercard that you can use for online purchases.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

If you’re an existing Koodo customer, you should be able to take the SIM card from your “trade-in” phone and insert it in your certified pre-owned phone. A new SIM card is shipped with the certified pre-owned phone which you can use as backup or swap the SIM card using your self-serve account. This should eliminate the $50 connection fee. 

Depending on the age, internal storage size and overall condition; iPhone and Samsung devices typically fetch top dollar and tend to sell the quickest on Kijiji or FB Marketplace. If selling a less popular brand, it really comes down to how much time you’re willing to spend waiting for a potential buyer. Since ad placement is free with these sites, try your ad out for a week or two. If there’s little to no interest, consider selling to a friend, coworker or a family member.