Koodo Community
Question

Incoming/Receiving text with eSIM abroad / Additional nano SIM

• 27 September 2022
  • 4 replies

I found this article that shows I can’t get incoming text with eSIM abroad.

As a backup plan, can I get additional nano SIM to change from my eSIM to nano SIM although I have already had my eSIM ?

If I have an issue with my eSIM abroad, can I simply change to nano SIM that I got in Canada before leaving from Canada?

This topic has been closed for comments

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

The customer in the post didn't reply so it was hard to tell what really happened. But esim should behave normally like normal sim.

If you are worried, you can switch back to a nanosim and roam outside of Canada.

here is my status/step.

1.  Using the Nano SIM
  2. Swapping from the Nano to eSIM (still holding the Nano SIM)
  3. Going abroad
  4. How can I swap back to the Nano SIM that I used to use from the eSIM abroad if there is an issue with eSIM?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

here is my status/step.

1.  Using the Nano SIM
  2. Swapping from the Nano to eSIM (still holding the Nano SIM)
  3. Going abroad
  4. How can I swap back to the Nano SIM that I used to use from the eSIM abroad if there is an issue with eSIM?

I suggest you don’t do that. When you are overseas if you have issue with roaming, you can’t receive incoming sms from Koodo and can’t switch SIM at all.

What I suggest is you either use the eSIM (and take whatever risk) or switch to a nanoSIM while you are in Canada.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I agree with Dinh here.

Note that  if you change from esim to nano sim you will need to buy another esim voucher to switch back to esim.

And esim should work while roaming as a nano sim would work.   I have not really heard of any issues particular to an esim vs a nano sim while roaming.

Personally I would set a data based messaging app as a back up if your roaming does fail.