Koodo Community
Question

Felt like a phishing scam

• 3 July 2023
  • 4 replies

Om Thursday, June  29 @ 6:45 AST,  I received a phone call from a Koodo agent.  He was offering me a deal as a long time customer of Koodo.  I was offered 75 GB, 45 GB, 25 GB, and 25 GB for the four lines on my account.  In addition, I was offered a free camera (inside or outside) and free international texting on all four lines.  This offer came with an additional cost of about $20 per month (taxes in).  

I agreed to the upgrade and that’s where the trouble began.  All of a sudden a lot of information was needed.  My full name, birthdate, and the last 4 digits of my driver’s license.  I did not suspect a thing because they would have to verify it was me and needed an address to send the camera.  I was put on hold for quite awhile and then the rep came back and asked for my full license number.  THEN, he asked for my social insurance number and when I said ,”absolutely not”, he said that I could instead give him my health card number or my passport number!!!   WHAT??!!    The last time I upgraded my data I was given a text and all I had to do was respond with YES to the text and it was done.  

You may be thinking that this had to be a scam of someone impersonating a Koodo rep, but at one point in this long ordeal he sent me a verification code to my phone and the conversation in the previous thread on that text were all of my Koodo bill notifications.  

When I refused to give any further information and told him that I felt he was scamming me, he then asked if Telus was OK to do a credit check on me.  At that point I hung up and refused to answer his call backs.  He texted me (in all capitals) that he could find a way around it if I didn’t want to do the check.   Why would I need a credit check?  You’re offering me a deal because I am a good customer.  

I really want contacted on this matter.  Private messages are fine.  I have the name of the Koodo rep and he said the call was being recorded so I hope you listen to the recording to verify everything and then I want contacted privately.  I will not be accepting calls for Koodo after the last episode.

Upset and confused customer

This topic has been closed for comments

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

That was indeed strange to hear, especially he tried to send text after you hang up. I assumed you were already a Koodo customer? If so, a plan change wouldn't require a hard credit check unless they asked you to move to Telus.

Which number did you receive the calls from?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

It seems to be a number from Telus. Anyway, let me flag a rep to have more information 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Nagetson 

We totally understand your concern! 

We have reviewed your Koodo account and we can confirm the call was legit as there were notes on the account regarding the interaction.  

The Security camera would need a TELUS account to be activated on, and for this a credit check would be required.