Koodo Community
Question

"Enter a valid mobile phone number" - Several services deem my cell number as invalid or as a VoIP number

• 9 June 2023
  • 8 replies

Previous thread I was following with similar information got closed.

Basically the issue is that several services that ask me to attach a phone number to them (for instance, the 7/11 app or the ChatGPT app as examples) , do not like my phone number. When I enter my phone number they say it is invalid and sometimes add that they believe it is a VoIP number. It has never been on VoIP.

How do I fix this? How do I get Koodo to tell whoever manages this stuff that the number is A-OK?

I do not want to change my number as I have had it a long time and it would be extremely inconveinant.

This topic has been closed for comments

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

That was strange. How did you setup your Koodo originally? Was it once a landline number?

As well, can you receive text from other institutions like banks, other companies?

It was indeed a landline a long time ago, but I need this information changed.

The banks I use, as well as services such as reddit, steam, facebook, the power company, my local library, Revenue Canada, Koodo, Amazon, Canada Post, UPS, Discord are all fine to send me SMS and verification (2-factor) messages. It is only a couple that are looking up this information somehow and deciding my phone is invalid. Maybe they are using a similar lookup service, I don’t know… but I need this changed. And emails I’ve sent to one of these companies have been answered with a “we don’t know, it’s a service we use. Talk to your provider about fixing it”

I just got a Koodo callback and as expected this issue is outside the regular support. The technician did something to “reset text messaging”, that I’ll wait to see if it has any impact over the next week. But really what I am needing is the info associated with the phone number itself to change.

Here are some screenshots:

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

If other institutions sms workes, It looks like whoever asked you to enter the number was using an outdated system. Is there anyway to contact them and dispute?

If you really want to use a Chat-GPT, you can go to Microsoft’s New Bing.  While OpenAI uses GPT3.5 turbo version, MSFT is already using a test version of GPT 4 version. You don’t need any phone numbers, and the service is free of charge (for now). Have a fun.  https://www.bing.com/

If other institutions sms workes, It looks like whoever asked you to enter the number was using an outdated system. Is there anyway to contact them and dispute?

That would be really strange though because it’s not like I’ve had this phone number for a short time. I can try sending them emails but often it’s difficult if not impossible to contact if you don’t have an account, which you can’t make without a valid phone number. Also, it’s an outside service they contract to and so nobody ever knows what I’m talking about.

If you really want to use a Chat-GPT, you can go to Microsoft’s New Bing.  While OpenAI uses GPT3.5 turbo version, MSFT is already using a test version of GPT 4 version. You don’t need any phone numbers, and the service is free of charge (for now). Have a fun.  https://www.bing.com/

Thanks. It’s more that I’m trying to get the issue with the phone number fixed then wanting to use ChatGPT specifically, it just happens to be one of the apps affected and has no way to contact the company to fix this. 

But thanks, it’s nice to know I can talk to bots on bing or whatsapp or elsewhere instead.

Chat GPT has finally decided to accept my phone number as valid. So it’s possible that support’s “reset text messaging” worked and it’s taken awhile for these changes to take effect? Anyway good news.

Still having issues with other services however.