Koodo Community

email notification about roaming

• 27 April 2023
  • 6 replies

Hi,

I have just received this email from Koodo. Also texts about roaming offers. I’ve been all day in Toronto nowhere near US. Could someone have cloned my sim card? I hope koodo sent it by mistake.

thanks vm

Hello,

Looks like ***-***-0726 is roaming on a USA network. Just so you know! If Easy Roam is active for them, they'll be charged $14/day for the days that they use their monthly plan's minutes, data or texts. The rates without Easy Roam are $1.60/min, $10/50 MB and $10 for every 100 outgoing texts (max. 160 characters each). All incoming texts are free. Long distance add-ons are not Easy Roam eligible.

A person on the account with authority can manage their settings and set permissions at koodo.com/selfserve

For more info on Easy Roam, visit koodo.com/easyroam

All the best,
The Koodo Team

Robert T 11 months ago

Hello there,

Based on the information you provided, it's possible that your phone connected to a US network due to your proximity to the border. This can happen even if you're not physically in the US. To avoid any unexpected charges, it's always a good idea to turn off roaming when you're not planning to use your phone outside of Canada.

To turn off roaming on an iPhone, simply go to Settings > Cellular > Cellular Data Options > Roaming and toggle the switch to off. On an Android phone, go to Settings > Mobile networks > Data roaming and toggle the switch to off.

In addition, we recommend setting your phone to manual network selection to prevent it from automatically connecting to a US network when you're near the border. To do this on an iPhone, go to Settings > Cellular > Network Selection and toggle off the Automatic option. On an Android phone, go to Settings > Connections > Mobile Networks > Network operators and select Manual.

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hello there,

Based on the information you provided, it's possible that your phone connected to a US network due to your proximity to the border. This can happen even if you're not physically in the US. To avoid any unexpected charges, it's always a good idea to turn off roaming when you're not planning to use your phone outside of Canada.

To turn off roaming on an iPhone, simply go to Settings > Cellular > Cellular Data Options > Roaming and toggle the switch to off. On an Android phone, go to Settings > Mobile networks > Data roaming and toggle the switch to off.

In addition, we recommend setting your phone to manual network selection to prevent it from automatically connecting to a US network when you're near the border. To do this on an iPhone, go to Settings > Cellular > Network Selection and toggle off the Automatic option. On an Android phone, go to Settings > Connections > Mobile Networks > Network operators and select Manual.

Thank you, will turn those things off. But still wondering how roaming could possibly trigger when I’m in Toronto?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Sometimes if you’re close enough to the US border (Toronto isn’t that far from the US) and the signal from neighbouring US networks is stronger than the Koodo network, your device could automatically connect to a US network as if you are roaming.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

If residing near Toronto's waterfront or lakeshore areas, this may cause your phone to roam on US networks. It is recommended to review your upcoming bill to ensure there are no unintended roaming charges. If you come across such charges, please inform us, and we will arrange for a rep to investigate the matter.

That makes sense. I’ve never realized this was a possibility here in Toronto. Lesson learned :)

thanks again

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Just to add, the texts about roaming packages could also be triggered if you've been in close proximity to an airport. (It's meant to serve as a proactive offer for travelers).