Koodo Community
Solved

Does Koodo throttle its 4G speeds?

• 26 October 2021
  • 5 replies

I’m currently with Public Mobile, and I recently found out that they usually throttle their 4G LTE down to 3G speeds. I see that Koodo and Public are both sub-brands of Telus, so I was wondering: does Koodo do this as well?

icon

Best answer by Dinh 26 October 2021, 05:33

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I’m currently with Public Mobile, and I recently found out that they usually throttle their 4G LTE down to 3G speeds. I see that Koodo and Public are both sub-brands of Telus, so I was wondering: does Koodo do this as well?

They do that for their 3G plans, but not for their 4G LTE plans. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

No, If your plan says LTE, it is LTE at full speed.

If you are on a 3G plan, the LTE is throttled to 3G. It should be stated clearly in your plan when you sign up with Koodo.

Wait, this is interesting. My plan says 4G, but when I browse the available plans on their site, I only see 3G options. Maybe they stopped offering 4G at some point, because the people on their forums seemed to think that all of their plans were throttled.

Speedtest is giving me 25 mbps down on Public, so I guess that’s well above 3G speeds.

No, If your plan says LTE, it is LTE at full speed.

If you are on a 3G plan, the LTE is throttled to 3G. It should be stated clearly in your plan when you sign up with Koodo.

Do you know if this applies to the Starter Plans as well? The phrasing on the site is a little strange.

For example, there’s a $38/mo plan with 2G of data at 4G LTE speed.

But then, there’s also this this help page that suggests that all starter plans are throttled: https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/starter-plans-3g-data-speeds

I’m guessing that page only refers to the Starter Plans that are marked as 3G, but it’s a little ambiguous

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Wait, this is interesting. My plan says 4G, but when I browse the available plans on their site, I only see 3G options. Maybe they stopped offering 4G at some point, because the people on their forums seemed to think that all of their plans were throttled.

Speedtest is giving me 25 mbps down on Public, so I guess that’s well above 3G speeds.

If you have an grandfathered 4G LTE plan then it will remain until you change to a 3G plan. Public currently only offer 3G plans options going forward