Koodo Community
Question

Does activationg a new SIM card deactivate the old SIM card?

• 13 April 2023
  • 2 replies

I recently had my phone stolen and I got a new SIM card today. I did not deactivate the old SIM card, but I did register the new SIm card to my number. I’m just wondering if registering the new SIM card automatically decativated the old one (ie. can the person who stole my phone still call/use my data)?

This topic has been closed for comments

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Once the new SIM is activated to replace the old one, the old deactivated SIM cannot be used to access anything on your account. You don't have to worry.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I recently had my phone stolen and I got a new SIM card today. I did not deactivate the old SIM card, but I did register the new SIm card to my number. I’m just wondering if registering the new SIM card automatically decativated the old one (ie. can the person who stole my phone still call/use my data)?

That is correct. They should not be able to use your old SIM card any longer, but they may be able to access the data on your phone if they can unlock it. 

Assuming you have an Android device, you can remotely erase it without worrying about any content compromised on your phone. https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6160491?hl=en