Koodo Community
Question

do i start paying for new phone plan with new device right away?

• 7 May 2023
  • 3 replies

Hello.

I am looking to purchase a new phone, new plan,  new sim, all that fun stuff. 

I am wondering if I need to start paying it as soon as I receive it or will it wait until I activate/set it up? 
is there a limit to how long I can wait? 

I currently have a phone through a line under my ex’s account, and he refuses to separate it for me so I am going to have to just buy a whole new everything and create my own account. My current phone will probably end up getting cut off because I am refusing to pay it unless my ex finally agrees to separate my line and let me have my own account with this current SIM and number. I just don’t want to end up having to pay for both my current phone and the new phone I am looking to purchase at the same time. 

This topic has been closed for comments

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

If you sign up for a new line, with or without a new phone, the SIM card will be sent to you already activated, and you will be billed starting from the date of purchase.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Who is he with currently? Is he also with Koodo or different provider?

If you want to start your own account with a new phone, new plan and a new numbe, then you can order it online to avoid a connection fee. But they will start charge you as soon as they ship a phone.   

You can start using your phone as soon as you receive it with your new number. If you want to keep your current number, then your ex have to agree to port your number out.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hello.

I am looking to purchase a new phone, new plan,  new sim, all that fun stuff. 

I am wondering if I need to start paying it as soon as I receive it or will it wait until I activate/set it up? 
is there a limit to how long I can wait? 

I currently have a phone through a line under my ex’s account, and he refuses to separate it for me so I am going to have to just buy a whole new everything and create my own account. My current phone will probably end up getting cut off because I am refusing to pay it unless my ex finally agrees to separate my line and let me have my own account with this current SIM and number. I just don’t want to end up having to pay for both my current phone and the new phone I am looking to purchase at the same time. 

Before you go ahead, you may want to keep your existing plan if it is better than the current market plans. Perhaps you can convince him to reconsider it and directly proceed with a transfer of ownership. After all, you will be responsible for the $50 fee as the owner of the new account and it will not affect him in any way. https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/transfer-of-ownership-town