Koodo Community
Question

disable my ability to receive texts from email applications

• 23 December 2022
  • 24 replies

Userlevel 1

I was reading in the related topic that there is a way to disable receiving texts from email applications. Since the only text I get from email are spam/scams, I would like to disable them.

@Flo Koodo (or any other Koodo rep that happens to be reading) you’ve helped people in the other thread with this issue, can I get a PM as well to make the texts go away - I have been reporting them, but they still happen

Cheers

This topic has been closed for comments

24 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Are you using the same email address for Self Serve as here in the community?

This allows the rep to access your account and send private messages.

Here’s the response from Flo Koodo.

“We have the option to disable the ability to receive text messages from email and web applications, however, this would block all messages sent to your number from email addresses. Please let us know if you wish to have this option disabled”.

If you’re okay with this, we can flag a rep to help.

Userlevel 1

I’m pretty sure the address is the same on both sites.

Nobody that I want to talk to sends me text messages from email (personal or otherwise) so I would absolutely want that disabled. I have call control enabled and that does a great job screening scammers and would love to get them off my texts too.

<edit> just confirmed the email is the same

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Nobody that I want to talk to sends me text messages from email (personal or otherwise) so I would absolutely want that disabled. I have call control enabled and that does a great job screening scammers and would love to get them off my texts too.

I have flagged a rep to help you with this. I’m not sure what the rep schedules are like given that the holidays are almost upon us. You may have to wait a day or two for a response.

Please include me too. I have a Post Paid and a Prepaid account under my name. The only email texts I have ever received are from scammers and unfortunately, there have been many of them. 

Userlevel 1

I have flagged a rep to help you with this. I’m not sure what the rep schedules are like given that the holidays are almost upon us. You may have to wait a day or two for a response.

Thanks, I appreciate it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Please include me too. I have a Post Paid and a Prepaid account under my name. The only email texts I have ever received are from scammers and unfortunately, there have been many of them. 

@Lou I have mentioned that you are looking to have this option disabled in a separate flag request. I think reps can respond to two similar requests, though I’m not 100% certain.

@Lou I have mentioned that you are looking to have this option disabled in a separate flag request. I think reps can respond to two similar requests, though I’m not 100% certain.

Thanks!

Hello! @CommonUsername @Lou please block the email address in your phone’s settings (the steps differ from phone to phone but you can find them on Google) and you should stop receiving this type of spam SMS. 

@Lavinia Koodo 

Hello! @CommonUsername @Lou please block the email address in your phone’s settings (the steps differ from phone to phone but you can find them on Google) and you should stop receiving this type of spam SMS. 

Sorry Lavinia, but that does not work. I have blocked every single one, but they get around it by using 2 email addresses - one of the email addresses will already be blocked (by me blocking it previously) but the 2nd email address is not blocked. I will then block the 2nd email address, but the scammer will just send another text email using his original blocked email and substitute another new email as the 2nd email and it comes through. One day in the summer both my husband and me received one text email after another all day long - no amount of blocking works.

Here is an example of the text email received a few days ago. See the next 2 posts also for further details

As you can see one of the numbers is already blocked

And as you can see there is another email address as part of the scam and this email address is not blocked (you can't see that from this screen shot). I will then block the 2nd email address and the scammer will just swap it out with a fresh unblocked email. 

My phone number is what is blacked out in these screen shots.

Userlevel 1

Hello! @CommonUsername @Lou please block the email address in your phone’s settings (the steps differ from phone to phone but you can find them on Google) and you should stop receiving this type of spam SMS. 

The scam texts come from random email address each time and as far as I can tell there is no way to block text from email globally from the phone.

Hello! @CommonUsername @Lou we have removed the capability to receive SMS from all email addresses from your lines. Please restart your devices as this change should come into effect almost immediately. If you ever need to receive a text message from an email address, you’ll need to contact us to reactivate this feature. 

@Lavinia Koodo 

Thanks for your help!

Userlevel 1

Hello! @CommonUsername @Lou we have removed the capability to receive SMS from all email addresses from your lines. Please restart your devices as this change should come into effect almost immediately. If you ever need to receive a text message from an email address, you’ll need to contact us to reactivate this feature. 

Awesome.

Thanks

@Lavinia Koodo 

Oops I thanked you too soon. I re-started my device and half an hour later got a new email text.

@Lou this certainly shouldn’t be happening; I refreshed the settings on your account, please restart your device again. This change should come into effect within minutes however it looks like it could take more than that in some cases. Thanks for keeping us posted!

@Lavinia Koodo 

Hello, unfortunately both my husband and I are still receiving email texts. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@Lou have you tried forwarding spam text messages to 7726?

This should help stop spam messages from reaching you. Since you’re not able to view the number, it’s best to forward the entire message. This guide is from a TELUS help page. Try this and let us know if you’re still receiving spam text messages. 

Report a spam message | TELUS

• Forward the spam message to the shortcode 7726 (SPAM) so that we can start an investigation. If you receive a number of spam texts, we recommend putting 7726 into your contact list so that you don't need to remember the numbers

• Don't respond directly to a phone number where you believe the spam text originated. Responding alerts the spammer that your number is genuine

• If you're not able to view the number or if it's email spam, forward us the entire message (along with the full header if it's an email

How to forward a text message from your phone to 7726

iPhone:

1. Touch and hold the message
  2. Select More
  3. Select the message you want to forward, then select the arrow in the bottom right corner
  4. Enter 7726
  5. Select Send

@rikkster 

Thanks rikkster. I have sent the message to 7726. Will report back if it doesn't work.

Userlevel 1

@Lavinia Koodo 

Seems that the blocking isn’t entirely working for me either.

This time they haven’t even bothered to make it look like it came from a legit email address

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@Lavinia Koodo

This time they haven’t even bothered to make it look like it came from a legit email address

@CommonUsername, I have flagged a rep to help you with this.

Strange that these spam text messages are still getting through. As a secondary measure, it may help to report spam text messages by forwarding them to 7726. Android messaging menus vary slightly by device. Below is a guide on how to forward spam text messages to 7726. 

Android and Windows:

1. Press the message (be careful not to activate a link)

2. Choose Forward (from the menu)

3. Forward to 7726
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @CommonUsername 

We have refreshed the change. In case you are still gettting messages from email address, we recommend checking with our technical support. You can schedule a call back with the virtual assist https://koo.do/Chat

Userlevel 1

@Lavinia Koodo

@CommonUsername, I have flagged a rep to help you with this.

Strange that these spam text messages are still getting through. As a secondary measure, it may help to report spam text messages by forwarding them to 7726. Android messaging menus vary slightly by device. Below is a guide on how to forward spam text messages to 7726. 

Android and Windows:

1. Press the message (be careful not to activate a link)

2. Choose Forward (from the menu)

3. Forward to 7726

Yeah, I have been reporting them for a while - since before I started this thread. Hasn’t been making much (if any) difference.

Hopefully this second Koodo refresh will finally work