Koodo Community
Question

Device Protection Claim Denied - Sim Can't Be Verified

• 16 September 2022
  • 3 replies

So long story short, I flipped a fishing boat and my phone fell out of my pocket and sank to to the bottom of the lake - 2 weeks after getting it. iPhone 13 Pro.

I have the full device coverage and started a claim through phoneclaims.com. Everything was fine, all the services reps were all super nice, but now they’re saying my request is denied because the SIM card cannot be retrieved from the date listed as the date I lost my phone. 

I’m not sure why they can’t verify this - I used the phone first thing in the morning, then it sank to the bottom of the lake. Went without any device all weekend, and got a new SIM from Koodo a few days later to use in my old device while I waited for the claim to go through.

Of course, trying to contact Koodo and I have to schedule a call multiple days in advance from now when I just want to have this dealt with, especially since I know that everything is correct.

Is this something I can do at a Koodo Kiosk?

This topic has been closed for comments

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I’m sorry to hear about this unfortunate mishap.

What may have happened and why the SIM card cannot be verified, is that when you moved your existing phone number to the new SIM card, the old SIM card became unusable. It’s also possible that your iPhone may have worked for a short time while submerged, which may have thrown the dates off from the time you reported your iPhone lost.

Asurion looks at the date the incident occurred and the airtime logged by Koodo as identified by ESN, MEID or IMEI for CDMA devices and SIM card. The letter abbreviations are your iPhone’s unique serial and identification numbers. CDMA refers to an older network type.

Phone Claim Terms & Conditions (pdf format)

To your question, I think this is an Asurion matter and that a Koodo kiosk may be limited in the assistance they can provide. I would suggest waiting for the callback to see if the rep can help. You may want to give Asurion a call to find out which dates they’re referring to, specifically.

Asurion contact number: 1-844-574-1839

If you still have the box your iPhone 13 Pro came with, the EID, serial and IMEI/IMEI2 numbers are printed on the back of the box. Also, if your iPhone 13 Pro was turned on at the time of this incident and had data and location services enabled, you may be able to find it’s last known location along with a timestamp using Find My (iPhone) through a browser or the macOS app. This might help to verify the date when your iPhone was lost. Keep us posted.

Find My | Apple

I’m sorry to hear about this unfortunate mishap.

What may have happened and why the SIM card cannot be verified, is that when you moved your existing phone number to the new SIM card, the old SIM card became unusable. It’s also possible that your iPhone may have worked for a short time while submerged, which may have thrown the dates off from the time you reported your iPhone lost.

Asurion looks at the date the incident occurred and the airtime logged by Koodo as identified by ESN, MEID or IMEI for CDMA devices and SIM card. The letter abbreviations are your iPhone’s unique serial and identification numbers. CDMA refers to an older network type.

Phone Claim Terms & Conditions (pdf format)

To your question, I think this is an Asurion matter and that a Koodo kiosk may be limited in the assistance they can provide. I would suggest waiting for the callback to see if the rep can help. You may want to give Asurion a call to find out which dates they’re referring to, specifically.

Asurion contact number: 1-844-574-1839

If you still have the box your iPhone 13 Pro came with, the EID, serial and IMEI/IMEI2 numbers are printed on the back of the box. Also, if your iPhone 13 Pro was turned on at the time of this incident and had data and location services enabled, you may be able to find it’s last known location along with a timestamp using Find My (iPhone) through a browser or the macOS app. This might help to verify the date when your iPhone was lost. Keep us posted.

Find My | Apple

Thanks for the reply, Rikkster.

What I ended up doing was calling Asurion 3 times until someone was willing to assist me instead of just reading the report back to me verbatim each time.

Got connected with a great young man who got in touch with the other departments, and called me back having it all sorted. He started a new claim for me, so I’ve re-uploaded the required documents, and he’s assuring me that it will be approved this time.

I think part of the issue was definitely that I already had a new sim card with the old phone on the same number. So once I read both sim numbers to him, he was able to escalate it.

Fingers crossed this one will be pushed through and I don’t have to do all of this again.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Thanks for the reply, Rikkster.

What I ended up doing was calling Asurion 3 times until someone was willing to assist me instead of just reading the report back to me verbatim each time.

Got connected with a great young man who got in touch with the other departments, and called me back having it all sorted. He started a new claim for me, so I’ve re-uploaded the required documents, and he’s assuring me that it will be approved this time.

I think part of the issue was definitely that I already had a new sim card with the old phone on the same number. So once I read both sim numbers to him, he was able to escalate it.

Fingers crossed this one will be pushed through and I don’t have to do all of this again.

Glad to hear the positive news and thank you for the update! Keep us posted.