Koodo Community
Question

Daily calls from number claiming to be Telus - spam or real?

• 8 January 2024
  • 5 replies

I have been getting repeated calls (around twice a day on business days) from the number 1-888-338-1487. I usually don’t pick up, but when I do it either hangs up or on the one time I made it in time they asked for my father who is no longer the owner of my account.

I had called back and it said it was Telus and brought me through the automatic menu and I eventually told the customer service person that picked up that I would like to be taken off their call list.

However, I still get calls from them. I don’t want to block a real Telus/Koodo number in case they need to reach me but I don’t know if this is a legitimate number they use.

This topic has been closed for comments

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Hi there,

once you’re placed on a do not call list either internally through Telus or nationally on the national do not call list, Telus / Koodo will no longer call you. Their numbers usually begin with 1-855 etc so if you’re still being called it likely is not a Koodo or Telus rep and should be careful if you answer the phone. The CRTC rules on do not call lists are quite strict on telecommunication companies so it’s likely not Telus or Koodo. I hope this information helps 🙂👍

Hi there,

once you’re placed on a do not call list either internally through Telus or nationally on the national do not call list, Telus / Koodo will no longer call you. Their numbers usually begin with 1-855 etc so if you’re still being called it likely is not a Koodo or Telus rep and should be careful if you answer the phone. The CRTC rules on do not call lists are quite strict on telecommunication companies so it’s likely not Telus or Koodo. I hope this information helps 🙂👍

Hi Oliver, do you know if there’s a way to report this caller? Typically in scam calls I receive them from random spoofed numbers but this has been a repeated one that I would like to make sure gets put on a list for Telus/Koodo.

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Hi there,

Hi Oliver, do you know if there’s a way to report this caller? Typically in scam calls I receive them from random spoofed numbers but this has been a repeated one that I would like to make sure gets put on a list for Telus/Koodo.

Hi there,

so Telus / Koodo reps do have ways of reporting spam / phishing calls and emails etc.  if you’re able to contact one through self serve, if one sees your post on here, or if you go into a location they should be able to report it. Unfortunately there are people out there who try to trick others, it’s a good thing you didn’t get caught in their plan 🙂 have a good rest of your day! I’m glad I could help.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @sburbanjungle 

Just to top up on @Oliver C’s responses, here you can find a list of known scams and fraud 

To help customers minimize the amount of spam or scall calls, Koodo is oferring the Call Control feature, more details can be found here https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/call-control

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Honestly there is no way to actually determine if the call is a scam or not. You can answer and listen to their offers, but don't give any personal info. Tell them to note any offers you may be interested in, onto your account and you can contact Koodo officially to try to receive this offer. I think this would be much safer.