Koodo Community
Solved

Currently on prepaid can I switch to postpaid when I'm not in currently in Canada?

So I made a mistake of adding roaming boosters on my prepaid account and then found out that I couldn’t even use it since it’s only available in Canada and USA (only found out when I got to my destination), so now I don’t really know what options I have for either converting to postpaid or something since I need my number to be able to do my online banking since they don’t send 2FA on like an email or an app authenticator

p.s. it’ll be awhile before I get back into Canada

icon

Best answer by BobTheElectrician 24 June 2022, 11:49

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

So I made a mistake of adding roaming boosters on my prepaid account and then found out that I couldn’t even use it since it’s only available in Canada and USA (only found out when I got to my destination), so now I don’t really know what options I have for either converting to postpaid or something since I need my number to be able to do my online banking since they don’t send 2FA on like an email or an app authenticator

You can order it online and have it sent to your Canadian home address. Are you able to have a trusted friend or family member to send the SIM card over to you?

You can order it online and have it sent to your Canadian home address. Are you able to have a trusted friend or family member to send the SIM card over to you?

I do but like how is the koodo going to be able to do a credit check and what not cause if I remember correctly to be able to get into like a postpaid plan don’t they need to confirm identity and credit check on me?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Think different: get yourself a local SIM for the duration of your trip. You can let your prepaid lapse for up to 89 calendar days and still maintain your number and boosters.  Back off your prepaid to the lowest baseplan if necessary.

It’s not likely that going thru the hoops to remotely switch and pay for easy roam is going to be a big money saver.

Might have to switch to a different provider when koodo is being dodgey at charging me twice for something I can’t use on a different day and not showing it on my online billing but it showed on my banking statement! 😤

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Might have to switch to a different provider when koodo is being dodgey at charging me twice for something I can’t use on a different day and not showing it on my online billing but it showed on my banking statement! 😤

I wonder how it could happen. Did you setup preauthorized payment with Koodo?

I did have my debit saved on it, but it isn’t pre-authorized I’d have to input the amount still. But when I checked my banking transactions I was charged on the 16th (which I know coz I did that) and then the 22nd (which I didn’t do coz I was already aware I couldn’t use it at the time) and on my billing in the self-serve on koodo it does not show the transaction on the 22nd . And trying to dispute that would be a long process as well which could mean I can’t even use my banking.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I did have my debit saved on it, but it isn’t pre-authorized I’d have to input the amount still. But when I checked my banking transactions I was charged on the 16th (which I know coz I did that) and then the 22nd (which I didn’t do coz I was already aware I couldn’t use it at the time) and on my billing in the self-serve on koodo it does not show the transaction on the 22nd . And trying to dispute that would be a long process as well which could mean I can’t even use my banking.

If you “saved” your debit information there, Koodo considered it as “preauthorized payment”, they could take money from it for renewal of your base plan (if the balance was not enough). 
By the way, how did you pay on the 16th? Was it by online banking or credit card?. Payment by online banking could take few days to get to Koodo system. Koodo at that point, didn’t have the amount yet and could have proceeded to take money from your debit.

If you “saved” your debit information there, Koodo considered it as “preauthorized payment”, they could take money from it for renewal of your base plan (if the balance was not enough). 
By the way, how did you pay on the 16th? Was it by online banking or credit card?. Payment by online banking could take few days to get to Koodo system. Koodo at that point, didn’t have the amount yet and could have proceeded to take money from your debit.

oh okay.. and on the 16th I logged into the self-serve and added credits using my saved card. So they shouldn’t have the need to take money from my debit on the 22nd coz when I added that booster on the 16th they’ve taken the credits that I’ve just added right away.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I was little confused, so your “saved card” is a credit card?

I think it was just the timing with the withdrawal of the fund. If you didn’t want it, you could remove the “saved card” in self serve and pay manually each month. You could contact Koodo directly and ask a rep to look deeper into the payment date. 

also, on the 16th did you pay enough to renew your base plan? (Not booster)

my “saved card” is a debit card/visa to be precise? Just removed it today and I’ll do just that. Thank you all for the replies!