Koodo Community
Solved

Completely Turn Data Off

• 6 September 2021
  • 12 replies

I noticed a few days ago that despite being on my own Wi-Fi, somehow I still used almost 2GB worth of data… This put me eerily close to my limit. Therefore I turned off data on my phone, yet for some reason my data usage is still increasing…

How do I completely disable my data to prevent going over the limit until the month resets?

icon

Best answer by rikkster 6 September 2021, 19:41

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

So long as you have shock free data enabled, you won't go over your limit without approving it prior to.
You can confirm in self-serve that it's not disabled. What phone do you have? Some OEM's, apple included, have a wifi assist feature where it will switch to cellular if it detects the WiFi signal that its connected to is weak.

Did you check to see which apps used the data? How much is it still increasing by, despite having disabled data on your phone?

So long as you have shock free data enabled, you won't go over your limit without approving it prior to.
You can confirm in self-serve that it's not disabled. What phone do you have? Some OEM's, apple included, have a wifi assist feature where it will switch to cellular if it detects the WiFi signal that its connected to is weak.

Did you check to see which apps used the data? How much is it still increasing by, despite having disabled data on your phone?

apparently a 4gb add on has shock free data, but how do i check if the original plan has it?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

apparently a 4gb add on has shock free data, but how do i check if the original plan has it?

To check your plan and add-ons, you can manage your plan in your Self-Serve account. You can also check the usage meter to keep track of your data. https://www.koodomobile.com/login

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

With the exception of pay-per-use data plans, all monthly Koodo plans as of March 10, 2016 include shock-free data (or SFD). Your original plan should include SFD. You’ll want to verify that data usage alerts are enabled by logging into your self-serve account. If you don’t see anything relating to shock-free data in your plan description, you may have a monthly plan that predates 03/10/2016. 

Shock-Free® Data | Help | Koodo

To check your plan and add-ons, you can manage your plan in your Self-Serve account. You can also check the usage meter to keep track of your data. https://www.koodomobile.com/login

I see the usage. That is how I am reporting this stuff. I am looking for a way to lock the data usage, so that it does not mysteriously exceed the limit, especially when data is turned off and I am on my home network.

With the exception of pay-per-use data plans, all monthly Koodo plans as of March 10, 2016 include shock-free data (or SFD). Your original plan should include SFD. You’ll want to verify that data usage alerts are enabled by logging into your self-serve account. If you don’t see anything relating to shock-free data in your plan description, you may have a monthly plan that predates 03/10/2016. 

Shock-Free® Data | Help | Koodo

SFD, meaning Koodo will not let me exceed the limit without my express consent? Koodo will simply stop serving data once the limit is reached until my explicit consent is given?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

SFD, meaning Koodo will not let me exceed the limit without my express consent? Koodo will simply stop serving data once the limit is reached until my explicit consent is given?

As long as the data alerts are enabled, yes, that is correct.

Data alerts can be turned off in your Self Serve account. If you turn them off, you won’t receive any more data alerts at 50%, 90% and 100% of usage. That means you won't be blocked when you go over your data limit and you’ll continue using data with our pay-per-use rates”.

As long as the data alerts are enabled, yes, that is correct.

Data alerts can be turned off in your Self Serve account. If you turn them off, you won’t receive any more data alerts at 50%, 90% and 100% of usage. That means you won't be blocked when you go over your data limit and you’ll continue using data with our pay-per-use rates”.

Let me see if I understand this: If the alerts are enabled, then the block is enabled, correct?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Let me see if I understand this: If the alerts are enabled, then the block is enabled, correct?

Correct. The data is paused/blocked. 

Edit: If you can tell us which phone you have, we can offer tips on how to minimize data consumption. 

Correct. The data is paused/blocked. 

Edit: If you can tell us which phone you have, we can offer tips on how to minimize data consumption. 

Then, that should be sufficient. Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Is the data on your phone increasing or on self-serve as well? 

Is the data on your phone increasing or on self-serve as well? 

On self-serve. Did not bother to check or monitor the usage directly on my phone.