Koodo Community

Cant make or receive calls

• 18 September 2021
  • 8 replies

Okay, revisiting this as it seems my original post has disappeared. Last month I was not able to send or receive calls while at work in the Yukon. I am within koodo's service range. Data, text, and picture messages all work fine. I have 4-5 bars of service, and my phone displays LTE beside the bars. I am about 1km west of Elsa, YT. I was using a Samsung S7 last month, and after no solution from my last post I assumed it must be a hardware issue. I am now using a Galaxy S20FE with a new sim, but having the same problem. I have reset network settings, and removed sim/restarted numerous times.

I can be within a kilometer of the nearest cell tower in direct line of sight and it doesn't work. However, In Mayo, YT, 40 km west of here, calls work fine. Also, I am the only person on site experiencing this, although I can't be sure there are any other Koodo customers here. There are plenty of Telus phones here that work fine.

When I call out it stays in the "calling" phase for a minute or two, no dialing or ringing sounds, just silence until it ends the call. When people call me, it rings through to voicemail on their end as if my phone is ringing, but my phone does nothing.

I really need help here. This is my first job away from home and the family is having a hard time adjusting. I need to talk to them. The wifi here is garbage so wifi calling is out, and calling on Facebook messenger is not convenient nor is it good quality, not to mention the data use. 

This topic has been closed for comments

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Are you a prepaid or postpaid customer? 

If you are a postpaid customer, Can you check  if you had the "VoLTE access" addon in your selfserve? 

I am postpaid, however I don't have VoLTE access as an add on, and I don't see it as an option to add to my plan

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Using a couple of different cellular tower maps, the closest cell tower I see nearest to Elsa, YT is located near Galena Hill. It’s a Bell cell tower, (TELUS and Bell have a network sharing agreement). The same for the cell tower in Mayo, YT. Both towers show as having an LTE/LTE-Advanced frequency of 700 MHz, and frequencies for 4G/3G (850 MHz).

Canadian Cellular Towers Map or

Canadian Cell Tower Map | Scadacore - use Lat: 63.914600, Longitude: -135.389200

Try changing the Network mode on your Galaxy S20 FE. I’m using the menus on my S7, the menu paths should be the same on your S20. 

Go to Settings > Connections > Mobile networks - select Network mode. The network mode may be displayed like this; LTE/WCDMA/GSM (auto connect). Select the network mode ‘WCDMA only’ (4G/3G mode recommended) or WCDMA/GSM (auto). The latter will still work, though TELUS/Koodo does not operate a 2G GSM network. Do not reboot your phone. The network mode setting is automatically saved. Make some test calls or have someone call you. Keep us posted.

No dice. When I switch to either of those, I have no service at all.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Interesting. On the same Mobile network page (Network mode) tap Network operators - take note of the current network operator (TELUS?). Tap ‘Search networks’. It may take a few seconds for the list to populate. Tap on the appropriate network operator that appears in the list. A ‘registered on network’ message will flash briefly on screen. Also, does EXT appear in the list? (EXT = Extended Coverage).

https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/extended-coverage

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I am postpaid, however I don't have VoLTE access as an add on, and I don't see it as an option to add to my plan

You would need that to enable VoLTE in your phone and use the LTE signal to make/receive calls. 
The VoLTE add-on was normally added when you enable vowifi in your phone. If you didn’t see it, you can try to enable vowifi first and see if the add-on is added. If not, you will have to contact Koodo directly and ask a rep to add it for you. 

Interesting. On the same Mobile network page (Network mode) tap Network operators - take note of the current network operator (TELUS?). Tap ‘Search networks’. It may take a few seconds for the list to populate. Tap on the appropriate network operator that appears in the list. A ‘registered on network’ message will flash briefly on screen. Also, does EXT appear in the list? (EXT = Extended Coverage).

https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/extended-coverage

Current network operator shows koodo, and when I search networks the only other option is bell. I did turn off the auto connect and select koodo manually, but didn't change anything. EXT is not listed.

You would need that to enable VoLTE in your phone and use the LTE signal to make/receive calls. 
The VoLTE add-on was normally added when you enable vowifi in your phone. If you didn’t see it, you can try to enable vowifi first and see if the add-on is added. If not, you will have to contact Koodo directly and ask a rep to add it for you. 

What is vowifi? EDIT Googled this, will try turning it on when I've got service again, out of the coverage area at the moment

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Current network operator shows koodo, and when I search networks the only other option is bell. I did turn off the auto connect and select koodo manually, but didn't change anything. EXT is not listed.

The setting to turn on VoLTE for calls is in the same area we’ve been messing around in previously. Settings > Connections > Mobile networks - enable VoLTE calls. This setting may already be enabled but without the add-on, this could explain why you’re not able to make/receive calls.

Using Voice Over LTE (VoLTE)