Koodo Community
Solved

Cannot send nor receive text messages - basic troubleshooting all done

• 10 September 2021
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 1

Hello, 

I’m having major problems with text messages (SMS)

• I cannot send text messages and/or I have to re-attempt 3-4 times. If they do go through, it is after 20-40 minutes
  • I cannot receive text messages and/or I get some 10-40 minutes after they were sent by the contact

Extra details:

• Huawei Mate 20 Pro
  • Android
  • Data works
  • Calls work
  • One of the texting apps eventually gave me an ‘’ERROR 332’’ mention
  • Post paid
  • Customer for several years

I meet these conditions:

• Coverage is excellent, antennas full
  • Bills paid
  • Plenty of battery
  • Device up to date
  • ANDROID version up to date
  • appropriate apps up to date

I have tried:

• Fully shutting down device, wait 30/60/300s, reboot
  • Force stop my texting app, restart it
  • Enabling/disabling data
  • Try an alternate texting app
  • Went airplane mode a few minutes, then disabled that mode
  • Removed my SIM card, wait a few minutes, re-inserted SIM card (also done so with a power off/power on cycle)

What next? I see no mention of an outage from KOODO or TELUS

icon

Best answer by ProtoMarcus 11 September 2021, 18:27

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Does data and calls work?

Userlevel 1

Forgot to add those details, added - yes both work

I did get a ‘’ERROR 332’’ message from one of the texting apps too

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Are you a postpaid or prepaid customer?

Userlevel 1

Postpaid - all bills up to date

Userlevel 2

I would take out the SIM card and wait a minute and then put it back in, make sure it clicks in tight. You Reboot the phone. If it doesn’t work and you have paid your bills, its probably the card.

Userlevel 1

I would take out the SIM card and wait a minute and then put it back in, make sure it clicks in tight. You Reboot the phone. If it doesn’t work and you have paid your bills, its probably the card.

As described in my submission, I did all that.

Is it really the card if I can still use my data and make calls?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Ah… unlikely. But if you have a other phone, try swapping Sim cards to see if the problem follows.
You can rule out anything on the phone.

Userlevel 1

Ah… unlikely. But if you have a other phone, try swapping Sim cards to see if the problem follows.
You can rule out anything on the phone.

Yeah, charging my dinosaur phone for just that

Userlevel 1

I FIXED IT.

By ‘’accident’’ - as in, it wasn’t the intended result, but of course it is the best result.

So again, while my dataplan and calls worked, I still couldn’t send/receive texts. That meant my SIM card was okay. I did get an ‘’Error 332’’ message at some point, still not sure what it means, I think it is related to packets?

Anyway, I did pretty much everything I could do and nothing worked (I wonder what Koodo techs would’ve done at this point too)

I did have an old cellphone somewhere, a dinosaur, took overnight to charge it to working capacity. I swapped the sim card, tried to text with the old phone, nothing. Nothing got sent, nothing got received.

The app also kept freezing as it wasn’t able to ‘’send’’

Then I swapped it back in my current phone. I left the phone on the table to get ready to go to a Koodo store and then tried to self-text my number (I’d do that a few times to test if anything worked) - it then finally went through instantly.

I then texted my girlfriend and some friends and I could see the ‘’Sent / Delivered’’ status almost immediately.

It is now fixed.

How it got fixed in short:

I had to swap the sim card with a different phone with a different IMEI and attempt to send a text to seemingly ‘’reset’’ something on the networking end and that did it once I put the SIM card back on my current phone.