Koodo Community
Solved

Can't send or receive MMS messages

• 8 December 2022
  • 12 replies

Userlevel 1

For some unknown reason I cannot send or receive MMS (picture) messages.

I have tried rest the network, update the app, change or delete the APN name and re&re the sim card etc.

Mobile data is on. Signal is good. 2 other phones on the account can send and receive.

Lastly I have gone in and changed stuff in the “Edit access point” from a old post here from 1 yr ago and still not fixed?

icon

Best answer by rikkster 9 December 2022, 13:48

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Was it ever working?
What kind of phone are you using and are you using the default messaging app?

Userlevel 1

The phone is a Redmi Note 8 Pro. I have had it for roughly 3 years and it worked fine up until today.

I am using the default messaging (Google based).

I tried updating the App. When I try and send a picture it just keeps saying “sending”.

When I got someone to send me a picture just as a test I get a download button and tap on it

it just keeps going around and round trying to download. All other data based apps work like google, facebook etc.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

If possible can you post your current APN settings here?

Also, was RCS enabled in your account? www.koodomobile.com/en/help/next-generation-messaging

Userlevel 1

What is RCS? I copy and paste the link you provided and it is about the chat features of messaging.

I always select to continue without those features as I don’t know what they do and Iam not interested.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

The MMS Proxy should be set to: mmscproxy.mobility.ca

The MMS Port should be set to: 8799

https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/setting-data-your-non-koodo-phone

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Chat feature is RCS. It normally automatically enabled with Google messages app. More about RCS here https://jibe.google.com/ I  asked to make sure if the issue was from MMS itself or RCS.

Rikkster already pointed out your APN configuration wasn't correct.

Userlevel 1

The MMS Proxy should be set to: mmscproxy.mobility.ca

The MMS Port should be set to: 8799

https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/setting-data-your-non-koodo-phone

I already tried these settings before I post my problem here.

I changed to the above settings 2 or 3 times and exit out of the settings then try to see if the MMS

message will work. It still didn’t so I go back into the settings and the ones I just changed are back to the 

way it is in the pics I sent above? I don’t know why they don’t stay?

Userlevel 1

OK Friends I got it working! I struggled but here's what I did.

I added a new APN and used the link you sent to fil in all the required spaces.

Then it still didn’t work until I reboot the phone.

Do you have any idea why the settings got changed so it would not work?

Anyway thank you very much for helping me. Much appreciated.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Good to hear!

Possibly the APN edits didn’t get saved. Not too sure. 

In the APN, next to the ‘mvno type’ field, does it show GID?

Userlevel 1

Good to hear!

No it is set to “None”

Should I change it?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Good to hear!

No it is set to “None”

Should I change it?

On some devices, the absence of an mvno type (or None) would prevent the user from saving edits to the APN. This does not appear to be the case as you were able to save the APN settings and MMS is working.

None means that this APN configuration is not restricted for use on a particular mvno or subscriber account. The mvno type and mvno value fields allow an APN configuration to be restricted for use only when using particular mvno’s or subscriber accounts. Koodo is an mvno, (mobile virtual network operator).

I would suggest changing the mvno type to GID. The mvno value field should auto-populate with a two or four-digit alphanumeric value. Remember to save your edits before exiting APN settings and restart your phone.

This should have no effect on your phone’s ability to send/receive MMS messages. If for some reason, the phone experiences problems with this setting (not likely) you can change the mvno type back to None. 

Userlevel 1

Good to hear!

No it is set to “None”

Should I change it?

On some devices, the absence of an mvno type (or None) would prevent the user from saving edits to the APN. This does not appear to be the case as your were able to save the APN settings and MMS is working.

None means that this APN configuration is not restricted for use on a particular mvno or subscriber account. The mvno type and mvno value fields allow an APN configuration to be restricted for use only when using particular mvno’s or subscriber accounts. Koodo is an mvno, (mobile virtual network operator).

I would suggest changing the mvno type to GID. The mvno value field should auto-populate with a two or four-digit alphanumeric value. Remember to save your edits before exiting APN settings and restart your phone.

This should have no effect on your phone’s ability to send/receive MMS messages. If for some reason, the phone experiences problems with this setting (not likely) you can change the mvno type back to None. 

Thanks again. I changed the value to GID.