Koodo Community
Question

Can only text or phone with internet or power down after Rogers Canada-wide outage

• 1 September 2022
  • 4 replies

I live in a very rural area and my cell connection is weak at the best of times unless I go to a specific location. During a power or internet outage, I would be able to message on FB or get my emails but ever since that Rogers fiasco, all I can do is text or phone. I work from home and need to be able to check my emails at the very least. Even going outside and away from my house only gives me one bar. In my specific location inside, I can get three bars but nothing loads. Very frustrating to say the least. I’ve used a VPN over the past year but we never really had any outages until that Rogers mess recently. Could that be an issue? I tried turning it off but it keeps turning back on. 

This topic has been closed for comments

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I am not sure why Rogers had anything to do with this? I assumed you are a Koodo customer?

Which phone are you using? are you a prepaid or postpaid customer and which plan are you on?

I am a Koodo customer, I don’t know how Rogers has anything to do with it either. I have an iPhone 8 and I have been with Koodo for several years. I pay monthly when they send me an invoice so I guess that’s a prepaid plan. I can use my data whenever I’m out without any issues. 

I just turned off my wifi and even going to my patio window where I get 3 bars, nothing loads. So I guess Rogers has nothing to do with it but I know this hasn’t been an issue in the past when Rogers went down. Only in the past while. I say since the Canada-wide outage because that’s the first time I really noticed it.  All I can say it my reception sucks at the best of times but never have I noticed it being this crappy. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I am a Koodo customer, I don’t know how Rogers has anything to do with it either. I have an iPhone 8 and I have been with Koodo for several years. I pay monthly when they send me an invoice so I guess that’s a prepaid plan. I can use my data whenever I’m out without any issues. 

I just turned off my wifi and even going to my patio window where I get 3 bars, nothing loads. So I guess Rogers has nothing to do with it but I know this hasn’t been an issue in the past when Rogers went down. Only in the past while. I say since the Canada-wide outage because that’s the first time I really noticed it.  All I can say it my reception sucks at the best of times but never have I noticed it being this crappy. 

Have you checked your APN settings? https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/setting-data-your-non-koodo-phone

I have finally resolved my issue of having no data when not using any WiFi service.  After doing some googling, it was suggested that I shut down and remove my sim card. Before I did that, I noticed “Koodo 3G” and thought that didn’t look right. I never really pay attention to those details as a rule.  So, I removed my sim card, put it back in and booted up. Now I see “LTE” and all is right in my data world.