Koodo Community
Question

can i transfer my file to a new phone

My Samsung galaxy A50 is really acting up, been told can not be fixed. If my mom buys me a new phone the Samsung galaxy A53 with her airmiles can I transfer my file over? I do not want to lose my account or phone number. I have health issues and need my drs to be able to reach me.

This topic has been closed for comments

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

If by file you mean SIM card, absolutely! Just take it out of your old phone and insert it in the new one. You'll never lose your number when you switch phones 🙂

Thx so much! Do you know if my contacts transfer over too or do I lose them. Need to keep my contacts and my texts from drs.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

That depends on how you set that up on your old phone. In my case, contacts and text messages are backed up to Google and also Samsung, so whenever I install a new phone, everything is transferred back to the new phone in one easy step. If you can still access your old phone, install an app named Samsung Smart Switch and also check your settings (Accounts and backup) if you enabled automatic backups of your settings/contacts/messages.

Samsung and Google never work for me my wifi is too bad. But I do use smart switch. Was told this is no longer available tho. Wish I could just get my current phone fixed. I can't afford to buy a new phone, I'm on disability and a cancer patient in a wheelchair. My money is tight and needs to go on my medications. Missed 3 calls from drs today.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Oh Smart Switch is still very much alive and available. As for making the choice between repairing your phone or getting a new one, that’s yours to make I’m afraid :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Samsung and Google never work for me my wifi is too bad. But I do use smart switch. Was told this is no longer available tho. Wish I could just get my current phone fixed. I can't afford to buy a new phone, I'm on disability and a cancer patient in a wheelchair. My money is tight and needs to go on my medications. Missed 3 calls from drs today.

Since the wireless feature does not work well for you, have you considered initiating a wired transfer from your Samsung Galaxy A50 to the new device? Simply get a a USB-OTG adapter or USB-C to USB-C cable from Amazon and launch the Smart Switch app to start the process. You can also copy the data to a microSD card. https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00062998/