Koodo Community
Question

Calls to Land Lines Garbled and Unintelligible

• 17 July 2022
  • 8 replies

Whenever I call from my cell phone to a land line, say a help desk that is not remote and using agents on cell phones, my calls are garbled and unintelligible. I tried with Wifi on and off. I have tested on my own land line and I can replicate the problem. This is a rather large inconvenience and evidence of a shoddy network, to say the least.

I would like to know how to leave Koodo and get a better provider, not that we have much choice in Canada. There appears to be no actual support for the crappy product I have received from Koodo, so I reckon my only choice is to leave to another provider that might actually provide support.

Thank you.

Jiggus

This topic has been closed for comments

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Which phone are you using? sometimes, it was the issue with voice enhancement tech within the phone. Also was VoLTE was ON?

If you want to leave Koodo, you could just pick another carrier and ask them to transfer it for you. There is no need to ask Koodo.

Thanks Dinh. Now, to the best of my knowledge, VOLTE is for a 4G network. I have that as my preferred network, but I don’t know how to see if that is the network it is using.

Thank you.

Jiggus

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Thanks Dinh. Now, to the best of my knowledge, VOLTE is for a 4G network. I have that as my preferred network, but I don’t know how to see if that is the network it is using.

Thank you.

Jiggus

That was why I asked in the previous post which phone you were using, so I might have an idea where you can check VoLTE and other phone settings.

And No, VoLTE is not the same as 4G LTE. You must have a compatible device as mentioned here by Koodo https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/volte Also, you must be a postpaid customer and should have the add on “VoLTE access” (which is free) in your account to use it. You could check your selfserve and see if you had it or not.

Sorry, I am using a Motorola G8. I have a subscription with Koodo. I tried a small experiment with my own land line. I switched off the Wifi on the cell phone and then “LTE” showed up on my screen. I then called my own land line and the sound was OK. I need to try with another landline to see if this is the fix. For some reason, this did not work the other day -- switching off the Wifi.

Thanks Dinh.

Jiggus

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Sorry, I am using a Motorola G8. I have a subscription with Koodo. I tried a small experiment with my own land line. I switched off the Wifi on the cell phone and then “LTE” showed up on my screen. I then called my own land line and the sound was OK. I need to try with another landline to see if this is the fix. For some reason, this did not work the other day -- switching off the Wifi.

Thanks Dinh.

Jiggus

Have you checked if the “VoLTE access” add-on appeared in your selfserve yet?

If LTE showed up, it meant your phone was connected to a LTE bands. That didn’t mean VoLTE was on. Can you check when you make a call, the “LTE” stays there or it switches to “3G”? If it stay LTE, VoLTE was enabled.

To enable VoLTE, you can go to settings » Network & internet » Call » VoLTE to ON.  You could also go to “additional settings” and check “voice clarity” option, you might want to test if it can help.

If you are a postpaid customer, you can also enable Wifi calling there. It could also be a good option.

I don’t have a “Call” menu item, nor an “additional settings” one. I do have VoLTE in my addons, but I don’t know where to find it on the phone.

When I disable Wifi and call my land line the LTE+ stays on my cell phone screen.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

When I disable Wifi and call my land line the LTE+ stays on my cell phone screen.

If so, you had VoLTE in your phone already. I guess Wifi calling was also working in your case.

As you mentioned, it worked fine now. I suggest you keep monitoring and see which setting works best for you.