Koodo Community
Solved

Bad cellular reception

• 22 October 2021
  • 7 replies

Lately I have not been able to use my data while I am out. My texts will not go nor can I access any apps that require data on my iphone. When I am connected to wifi everything is fine. I have not used up my monthly data limits and I have already reset my network connections.  Both my kids who are also on Koodo are experiencing the same problem. Someone said it is because there is too much traffic on our one tower in town? Any suggestions? I am really considering switching carriers. I have missed important texts and emails while I am out.

icon

Best answer by rikkster 26 October 2021, 05:01

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Could be that you are in an area with bad reception. In that case your options are to tough it out until the network is improved, or move to a carrier that uses different towers (i.e. not Telus/Bell).

I have the same issue. The data won’t work at all except WiFi for the internet. Did you find any solution?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@Jszuuts @Arjun what area are you in (city) that this is happening to you?

Does Talk work when you run into issues with your data? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Make sure that if you switch carriers it doesn’t have the same problem. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Lately I have not been able to use my data while I am out. My texts will not go nor can I access any apps that require data on my iphone. When I am connected to wifi everything is fine. I have not used up my monthly data limits and I have already reset my network connections.  Both my kids who are also on Koodo are experiencing the same problem. Someone said it is because there is too much traffic on our one tower in town? Any suggestions? I am really considering switching carriers. I have missed important texts and emails while I am out.

Before you make the switch, I would suggest you to ask other people who live in the area to see if their signal is good enough, particularly those on Rogers or Fido and Shaw or Freedom Mobile. If their coverage is similar to what you are experiencing on the Koodo network, you may be disappointed once again. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

@Jszuuts As a troubleshooting step, try disabling LTE / 4G on your phone and only using 3G aka UMTS/WCDMA/HSPA for a while and see if reliability improves. It’s possible the different frequencies/bands used by the different protocols will perform differently at your location. (For better or for worse...)

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@Jszuuts The only tower I could find in Lake Country is broadcasting on a radio frequency of 2100 MHz near the intersection of Highway 97 and Pollard Road. This could explain the limited service. There’s a TELUS tower to the northeast of Lake Country about 4 kilometres away on Beaver Lake Road in Winfield, offering 3G and 4G service.

Canadian Cellular Towers Map | Lake Country

As Nezgar mentioned, selecting 3G may help to improve signal reception. On iPhone, go to Settings > Cellular Data Options > Voice & Data and place the checkmark next to 3G. Test to see if data works. If the problem persists, send a private message to Koodo via Facebook Messenger or a DM via Twitter asking if there’s an issue with the cellular tower that services your area.

https://www.facebook.com/Koodo or https://twitter.com/koodo