Koodo Community
Solved

Are IP addresses dynamic or static? Might have a serious problem here.

• 11 May 2023
  • 3 replies

I am wondering because with my phone data I am permanently IP banned for making a post on an imageboard that I didn’t post. Apparently I made a post that had some illegal content and the ban was made on the 4th of January, just found out about it today. I can still post on the website through my wifi at home but can’t on my phone.

A part of me at first was thinking maybe someone stole my IP address and made some abhorrent post and then pinned it on me. My one friend says that maybe my phone provider (Koodo) gave me a different IP address that was last owned by someone who made that post. Apparently IP addresses switch over time and I’m wondering if that’s true.

If my IP address has never changed then someone stole it. I’ve already phoned the cops about it because if that’s the case I could be in some serious hot water if someone is using it for illegal things.

Please respond. Thanks.

icon

Best answer by Allan M 11 May 2023, 23:17

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

If you go to a “what’s my ip” website check your ip, turn on airplane mode, turn it back off, then refresh the website, you’ll notice that you have a new ip while on data so that should fix your problem if that ip is having issues like you suspect.

Thank you! Was most helpful! Didn’t know. Have peace of mind now.

If you go to a “what’s my ip” website check your ip, turn on airplane mode, turn it back off, then refresh the website, you’ll notice that you have a new ip while on data so that should fix your problem if that ip is having issues like you suspect.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

It’s not as simple as all that. Many sites routinely blacklist some exit domains from known providers in an effort to thwart unwanted or questionable VPN activity. Banking sites, Netflix and Amazon are known to block certain connections.

You might have some success by turning off mobile data and using local wifi to test the connection. That will will give you an entirely different internet route and ip.