Koodo Community
Solved

Advice

• 22 August 2021
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 6

My question is primarily to Rikkster. You may recall that I have a BBz30 that I required a new battery for and you provided a Company that I could get a new battery from. I did and it worked and works just fine. However, as you know the BB 10 are not going to be anything more than a paper weight according to a text message I received from Koodo. My question is what would you advise me to buy, that has a similar keyboard function (turn sideways for larger letters) and somewhat the same features as the z30 ? Thanks for any recommendations from you or anyone else. It would also be nice if my current sim and the separate one I store pictures on would work.

icon

Best answer by rikkster 22 August 2021, 10:03

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

You have to tag him @rikkster so he knows that you need him. 

Userlevel 6

@rikkster

@rikkster …….My question is primarily to Rikkster. You may recall that I have a BBz30 that I required a new battery for and you provided a Company that I could get a new battery from. I did and it worked and works just fine. However, as you know the BB 10 are not going to be anything more than a paper weight according to a text message I received from Koodo. My question is what would you advise me to buy, that has a similar keyboard function (turn sideways for larger letters) and somewhat the same features as the z30 ? Thanks for any recommendations from you or anyone else. It would also be nice if my current sim and the separate one I store pictures on would work.

Userlevel 6

Thanks Dinh

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

You do not store and pictures on your SIM. They're on the phone itself and you would need to back them up in order to transfer them to the new phone. Thought I'm not sure how it works with your current phone.

Userlevel 6

Hi Robert, maybe I am using the wrong term, I have 2 slots on my z30. I bought a card/sim or whatever it’s called for extra storage. That’s where any pictures I take end up automatically as far as I know. Maybe not.  If not I don’t know what goes on it. And yes I have a photo section on my phone that I can access pictures. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi Fred, good to hear from you and I do recall the conversation. 

This will be an interesting topic because some of the mid-tier phones share specs with the top shelf models. Off the top, Samsung’s ’S’ series phones are top-tier and loaded with features. I will provide a link that compares the three phones I picked along with detailed spec information for each phone.

GSMArena | Compare

Samsung’s ‘A’ series phones are the mid-tier models that have very good specs for the price and are worth looking into. The Samsung Galaxy A52 5G is a good example.

TCL signed a deal to produce Blackberry-branded Android phones back in 2016. The arrangement came to an end in August 2020. The TCL 20 Pro 5G might be worth taking a look at. 

Storage: Samsung’s ’S’ series phones lack expandable storage but they make up for this by offering larger internal storage capacities. Samsung’s ‘A’ series devices have expandable storage in the form of a microSD card. The microSD card in your BBz30 should fit any device that accepts microSD cards.

SIM card: All new phones take a nanoSIM card. The SIM card in your BBz30 is a microSIM card. Remove the SIM card from your BBz30 and see if there are slight indentations on card. By pushing on those indentations, you should be able to pop out the smaller nanoSIM card. If I’m not mistaken, Koodo had tri-cut SIM cards back in 2013. If the microSIM does not reduce to a nanoSIM, a new nanoSIM card will be shipped with your new phone.

Text Messaging: I believe that you can manipulate the text bubble size on Samsung phones by pinching to zoom, which in turn, increases text size. Someone using a Samsung device will have to chime in to confirm.

I’ve found several review videos that go over the three phones that I think may be of interest.

Samsung Galaxy S21 5G

Samsung Galaxy A52 5G

TCL 20 Pro 5G https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NH4fVUTjgjg

Userlevel 6

Thank you Rikkster, as always your answers are detailed and informative. I really appreciate it. I will check out all your links and if I have any further questions, I know that you can answer them.