Koodo Community
Question

4G vs 4G LTE

• 1 May 2023
  • 6 replies

Hello, 

I currently have a 4G LTE plan but looking to switch plans. The plan I am looking to switch it is just 4G. Which is better and if 4G is the lesser of the two plans, will I notice a huge difference?

Thank you, 

This topic has been closed for comments

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

There is no difference. The only difference made between networks for plans atm is 3G vs 4G. LTE is a 4G protocol and carriers make it interchangeable. The two cheapest starter plans are restricted to 3G speeds for the postpaid options. 

Currently Koodo restricts network speed to 100mbps and with a perk option, you can make it 200mbps. 

Hi Goran, 

Thanks so much for the information. So changing to a plan that has more data and a perk option will make no difference in speed? I noticed for my number I do have the speed booster option but for my son, he does not have that option as a perk. 

Thanks again for the quick response! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

The old 4G LTE without any speed caps is definitely faster.  I have seen it reach 300mbps.  But honestly other factors will impact your speed more, like your connection quality or any obstructions.

You should be able to stream youtube or tiktok just fine with 4G speeds at 100 mbps and likely will not notice any perceivable difference.  

The old 4G LTE without any speed caps is definitely faster.  I have seen it reach 300mbps.  But honestly other factors will impact your speed more, like your connection quality or any obstructions.

You should be able to stream youtube or tiktok just fine with 4G speeds at 100 mbps and likely will not notice any perceivable difference.  

How do I know if I am on the “old 4G LTE” without the speed caps? The deal I am being offered increases my data quite a bit and keeps my bill the same price. I just don’t want to change it if my speeds will drop drastically. Also to note, I do live somewhat rural. Thanks for the information! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

How do I know if I am on the “old 4G LTE” without the speed caps? The deal I am being offered increases my data quite a bit and keeps my bill the same price. I just don’t want to change it if my speeds will drop drastically. Also to note, I do live somewhat rural. Thanks for the information! 

If in self serve your plan says 4G LTE then its speed is uncapped.

If the new plan you are being offered is a Pick Your Perk plan, you are free to choose the speed boost (200mbps) perk, but note that the pick your perk plans also do not come with international SMS/MMS so if you do text internationally, you may need to balance that out with the international SMS/MMS perk too.

My wife went from 4G LTE, to 4G with the speed boost cap and hasnt noticed any perceivable difference in speed.  If there is anything that is slower, she just assumes the site she is visiting is slow/busy.

Thanks so much Dennis. I don’t typically text internationally. If I do, it’s usually imessage. So speed boost should be a good option for me. Thank you again for all your help. Have a great day!