Koodo Community
Solved

2 phones. Public Mobile on one, Koodo on other. Sharing accountsMy

• 1 April 2023
  • 8 replies

My Public Mobile phone shares the record of my calls and FaceTime of my Koodo phone. I had the SIM card in my Koodo phone removed for 7 weeks while on vacation and replaced with a SIM card from the destination. 

The Public Mobile phone displays the activity, phone and FaceTime of the other phone during the 7 week period when Koodo was not being used. 

They have 2 different account logins.

Also, during the 7 weeks, the PublicMobile phone was left on as our home phone. It registered data and phone calls and no one was in the house and data usage, at 12:16 every night.

Is there a phone number that I can use to call Koodo or should I call Telus? 

Why and how is the PM phone getting usage information from the Koodo phone?

icon

Best answer by Dinh 1 April 2023, 04:10

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Are these 2 phones both iPhone and they are sharing the same icloud account? 

If so, that was normal because if you setup that way, icloud would sync call history and facetime calls (if you enabled facetime and imess on both phones) they could also share sms if that options was turned on.

Yes they do share the iCloud account. That explains it. Each phone record has a different colour

The Public Mobile phone has a daily data usage and in 2 days used up almost 90% of the 250 mb. We were not at home, still on vacation. This will require more research.

Thanks for the quick reply. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Yes they do share the iCloud account. That explains it. Each phone record has a different colour

The Public Mobile phone has a daily data usage and in 2 days used up almost 90% of the 250 mb. We were not at home, still on vacation. This will require more research.

Thanks for the quick reply. 

If you shared the same account, iPhone itself would try to sync photos, imessage and that could take data out of your Public mobile when the phone weren't on wifi. 

Dinh

How can I restrict iCloud backup to Wifi only?

I use the iPhone as a home phone and it never leaves our home. Just sits on the desk.

Maybe it does not need to sync to iCloud. It just records the junk phone calls and people/businesses that have this 45+ year old phone number. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

That would depend on which iPhone you have. iCloud backs up your phone daily when it is connected to power, locked and connected to Wi-Fi. If your iPhone model supports 5G, there may be an option to back up your iPhone using your cellular network, (Koodo does not offer 5G, but the technology is present in newer iPhones). Go to Settings > [your name] > iCloud > iCloud Backup, then turn on or off Backup Over Cellular.

Backup iPhone

The iPhone is an XR.

I just want a landline replacement. Phone only.

It is to be  a $15/month replacement for a  $60/m landline. 

I want iCloud to use Wifi only. Or turn it off.

My wife’s phone also uses Public  Mobile with no iCloud connection  and  has no problem with data. In fact, PM gives her extra data and monthly plan cost reductions.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

iCloud backups use Wi-Fi due to the size and space that some backups use. There is no option to use cellular data for iCloud backups.

It’s possible that if cellular data and Wi-Fi Assist were enabled (Wi-Fi Assist is enabled by default) and your iPhone’s connection to your home Wi-Fi network was somehow interrupted, Wi-Fi Assist will automatically switch to cellular data. Apps will take advantage of this data source which could explain the data usage.

To turn off Wi-Fi Assist, go to Settings > Cellular or Settings > Mobile Data. Then scroll down and tap the slider for Wi-Fi Assist.

Turn off iCloud:

Not recommended. When you sign out of iCloud, iCloud no longer backs up the information on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch. Learn more about what iCloud backs up. You can still back up your device from your computer. To stop using iCloud on your devices, learn how to sign out of iCloud

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Dinh

How can I restrict iCloud backup to Wifi only?

I use the iPhone as a home phone and it never leaves our home. Just sits on the desk.

Maybe it does not need to sync to iCloud. It just records the junk phone calls and people/businesses that have this 45+ year old phone number. 

In addition to Rickster comments, You could technically control any app or service to use cellular data or not. Go to settings » Cellular » turn off cellular data for photos, system services, facetime. That should limit the phone to use wifi for those service.