Koodo Community
Question

1GB internet not getting even half the speed

• 25 January 2024
  • 9 replies

Hello, I’m new internet subscription started today, installing the modem and getting online went smoothly, however I’m only getting less than half of the 1GB  ( around 400Mbps give or take ). My old service was faster than this and I only paid for 500mb with them.

This topic has been closed for comments

9 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Hi there,

so Koodo’s Internet currently is not a “pure fibre” internet service which is why it says “up to 1GBs speeds”. This is evident as well when a service is not pure fibre as it has poor upload speed (their advertised up to 50Mbs). So in the case where it is not a pure fibre connection, which is the case with Koodo and rogers, the more people who use it in your house and subdivision or neighbourhood will cause the speed to be slower as you’re all sharing the copper node that your house is attached to. Furthermore, a lot of devices actually have a limit on how much they can actually run on download speed, for example in a desktop or laptop unless you have a giga bit port installed, you won’t receive over 500-700Mbs (this of course can vary). I hope this information is handy, but you likely won’t have a consistent speed of 1Gbs, it will fluctuate frequently. This is also why these services tend to be cheaper than Telus pure fibre or bell’s fibre op. 

(Also here is a good picture that explains what I mean 🙂)

Thanks for your response. However non of this is the answer. As I said my previous cable internet ( canceled yesterday ) was faster and my upload speeds are exactly where they’re supposed to be. Also I’m a network engineer and senior software developer, so not your typical user. The download speeds should be much faster, I realize I may not get 1gb, however I shouldn’t be getting upwards of 800.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Hi there,

that’s neat! I agree with you, it should be better, but ultimately this tends to be the case with this kind of service.  In my experience it unfortunately never trends to be that high (even on low traffic days) which is why personally I stick to pure fibre to avoid the headache.  Alternatively you can schedule a call back and ask about getting a technician to check out the copper node if it still is trending to be that low, sorry if my previous post offended you in any way given your credentials I am sure you know more than me, based on the limited amount of information from your post I answered with the base levels of Internet services. I hope it works out 🙂👍

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

My suggestion is to schedule a callback for a tech support ticket. I agree that it should be better considering the reasons mentioned.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi there @KScott242   Are you testing with a wired connection or wireless. Also, are you using a VPN?

Hi Boa_Guy,

Yes I’ve tested both wired and wireless with the same results. Also I’m not using a VPN.

@Goran yes that’s likely the route I’m going to take. Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Were you using a mobile device to run speedtest Or a desktop with a direct cable plugged into the modem? As well, can you run multiple speedtest at the same time (with 2 or 3 devices) to see the overall download speed.?

@Dinh I’ve run the test both wired and wireless with the same results as mentioned above. Also as I said my previous provider was also cable and ran at a faster speed ( same locate and same devices ).