icon

Best answer by Allan M 30 September 2021, 23:27

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

17 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Not texting specifically.

If you're using something like an Phone with iMessages or an android with chat feature turned in than it could use data though.

Userlevel 1

Ok, so if specifically Android and I select SMS messaging will it impact my data quota?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

If it is SMS, then no that will not impact your data 

Userlevel 1

Thanks, that makes sense. And if I add a photo to the SMS message it automatically converts to MMS and then my data would be impacted, right?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Thanks, that makes sense. And if I add a photo to the SMS message it automatically converts to MMS and then my data would be impacted, right?

Not exactly. Koodo doesn't count the data used for picture messaging against your total. Any data used by the phone in the background would be counted though.

Userlevel 2

Not exactly. Koodo doesn't count the data used for picture messaging against your total. Any data used by the phone in the background would be counted though.

Are you sure about that?  My understanding is most providers non-text content in an MMS use “data”.  I don’t know how Koodo handle this specifically.

Update:  MMS does use data, whether it is chargable data I guess depends on the provider.  What happen when you are roaming?  Can you send MMS with phone mobile data off?  What about with Koodo zero cost add-on voice roaming on and data roaming off?  Does it trigger an EasyRoam charge?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Are you sure about that?  My understanding is for most provider any non-text content in an MMS generally use “data”.  I don’t know how Koodo handle this specifically.

Your data toggle needs to be turned on but Koodo zero-rates MMS messaging meaning they don't charge you for data used specifically for MMS. Like Timo mentioned though, it's very hard to prevent your phone from using data for other things in the background when you turn it on though.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

FYI, all data used to access koodo's website is also zero rated, and does not count toward your monthly total.

Userlevel 1

Hmmm, curiouser and curiouser, lots of unknowns it seems. I don't know if koodo bothers to read this board but if they do they should see that this clumsy community contrivance would be far more beneficial if some koodo software engineers pitched in to tell us exactly how the system works regarding sms/mms/data setup and consequences.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Allan currently works for koodo, and I spent 2 years working in koodo tech support. The answers are right. Whether you choose to believe it is up to you.

Userlevel 1

Allan said this about your reply: "mowan wrote:

Are you sure about that?  My understanding is for most provider any non-text content in an MMS generally use “data”.  I don’t know how Koodo handle this specifically."  

So it seems not all answers are right, and he doesn't know how koodo handles it!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Go back and read the full thread. I stated that the data used for MMS isn't counted against your monthly data.

mowan said that MMS uses data, which is true, and which I never denied, but, as I said, that data isn't counted against your total.

Allan then confirmed that the data used for MMS is zero rated, which means it doesn't count against monthly totals.

Userlevel 1

A flow chart from koodo would be best I think. Is such documentation available online anywhere that you know of?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

A flow chart from koodo would be best I think. Is such documentation available online anywhere that you know of?

Scroll down to the bottom of this page.

Timo and Allan are right.

https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/keeping-track-your-data-usage

Userlevel 1

Great, thanks!

Userlevel 2

Sorry to bring up this week old thread in advance.

What is very clear now, thanks to Timo and Allan, is that while MMS (e.g. MMS with picture or other attachments) do use data, that data won’t be charged or count against the customer plan’s data allotment.

What is not clear for me, although not ask specifically by @Ted Buck, is what happens when you are outside Canada.

Outside of Canada, if my understanding is correct, you need to have data roaming enabled to receive the data portion of MMS (where as plain SMS text should be fine without as long as you have voice roaming on)…

1) is the data for that MMS download still zero-rated while roaming?
2) will it trigger a ONE DAY charge if you have EASY Roam on, even if you otherwise do not use any data?

I know (2) is probably academic as it would be virtually impossible to avoid consuming roaming data if you have it ON while outside Canada, regardless of MMS.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Sorry to bring up this week old thread in advance.

What is very clear now, thanks to Timo and Allan, is that while MMS (e.g. MMS with picture or other attachments) do use data, that data won’t be charged or count against the customer plan’s data allotment.

What is not clear for me, although not ask specifically by @Ted Buck, is what happens when you are outside Canada.

Outside of Canada, if my understanding is correct, you need to have data roaming enabled to receive the data portion of MMS (where as plain SMS text should be fine without as long as you have voice roaming on)…

1) is the data for that MMS download still zero-rated while roaming?
2) will it trigger a ONE DAY charge if you have EASY Roam on, even if you otherwise do not use any data?

I know (2) is probably academic as it would be virtually impossible to avoid consuming roaming data if you have it ON while outside Canada, regardless of MMS.

Based on past messaging (which I can't find on the Koodo website anymore) 

1 - No. While roaming, mms will use your data.

2 - yes. If you receive an MMS while roaming, it will trigger easy roam. I believe this is a bit of a gap in the rules here, but as you said if data was on, background data is likely being consumed