Koodo Community
Solved

Tab bonus when buying a new phone

• 19 August 2022
  • 7 replies

I have no tab balance but I have a tab bonus balance because I just paid off my phone (12 months early).  I want a new phone, with Koodo and from Koodo.  Will I have to pay off the current tab bonus or will it just continue to decease?   The statement “The Tab Bonus balance simply goes down each month, and you’ll only have to pay the remaining Tab Bonus balance if you cancel, upgrade, or change to an ineligible rate plan before it reaches $0 “ is vague and does not answer this question.  Is changing phones considered an upgrade? 

icon

Best answer by Allan M 19 August 2022, 23:52

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Yes. Buying a new phone in another Tab is considered as an upgrade.

If you still have 12 months left, then you need to pay back the bonus to start a new Tab(24 months)

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Yes, getting a new phone is considered an upgrade so you would be charged the remaining tab bonus if you got a new one on the tab.

So if I buy a phone somewhere else, can I activate it and use it with Koodo?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Yea you can just swap the sim card from your current phone to the new one!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Yes.

In this case, you don't have to worry about pay back the bonus. It will decrease every month for another 12 months to $0.

Just a couple more questions so I have things clear.

Is there and activation fee if I buy a phone from someone else?

Can I keep my same plan with a different phone?

Thanks for all your help! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Just a couple more questions so I have things clear.

Is there and activation fee if I buy a phone from someone else?

Can I keep my same plan with a different phone?

Thanks for all your help! 

If you buy the phone from someone else then nothing changes to what you have currently. No activation fee, same plan.

Just to make it clear though, someone else doesn’t mean Walmart who sells Koodo, or Best Buy who sells Koodo.

As long as the phone is bought outright, or financed through a different way, then you’re good.