Koodo Community
Question

Payments Not Taken - Bill Sent to Collections

• 25 July 2023
  • 9 replies

I have been a Koodo customer for several years and for the last 10 months I have had my account on a seasonal hold since my family moved out of country. Due to this, I have not been using the Koodo Self Service portal since I had no reason to. We are now preparing to move back to Canada and have been working with a mortgage broker. Today we were informed that we have an outstanding bill of over $600 with Koodo going back to when we first moved away. The issue I have is that my account has automatic payments setup with my credit card, which has not changed. Koodo never tried to take a payment in the last 10 months, meaning that all the seasonal hold charges on top of final bill from last year have accumulating and getting late charges added onto them. My wife’s Koodo account has not had any issues as the payments have been coming out regularly without issue. I contacted my bank and there confirmed that there is no issue with my card and that Koodo has not attempted to take payment in the last 6 months (it’s the furthest back that they can check). Therefore, the issue must lie with Koodo and my Koodo account. Since I am living out of Canada, I am unable to schedule a callback and the online assistant has been unable to help. I need to talk to a representative to sort this out as it has very negatively impacted my credit score, which is making it harder to find a house when we return to Canada.

This topic has been closed for comments

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

When you setup pre-authorized payment with your account, have you received any confirmation email from Koodo?  was there any expired date change with the card? 

As well, did it work before you moved it to the seasonal hold?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I have been a Koodo customer for several years and for the last 10 months I have had my account on a seasonal hold since my family moved out of country. Due to this, I have not been using the Koodo Self Service portal since I had no reason to. We are now preparing to move back to Canada and have been working with a mortgage broker. Today we were informed that we have an outstanding bill of over $600 with Koodo going back to when we first moved away. The issue I have is that my account has automatic payments setup with my credit card, which has not changed. Koodo never tried to take a payment in the last 10 months, meaning that all the seasonal hold charges on top of final bill from last year have accumulating and getting late charges added onto them. My wife’s Koodo account has not had any issues as the payments have been coming out regularly without issue. I contacted my bank and there confirmed that there is no issue with my card and that Koodo has not attempted to take payment in the last 6 months (it’s the furthest back that they can check). Therefore, the issue must lie with Koodo and my Koodo account. Since I am living out of Canada, I am unable to schedule a callback and the online assistant has been unable to help. I need to talk to a representative to sort this out as it has very negatively impacted my credit score, which is making it harder to find a house when we return to Canada.

I would suggest you to reach out to the collections agency and find out if there is any way to settle the debt as soon as possible.

Unfortunately, the debt is no longer with Koodo. You should update your banking details on your Self-Serve account to see if the issue occurs again. https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/setting-pre-authorized-payments

“When you setup pre-authorized payment with your account, have you received any confirmation email from Koodo?”

-The pre-authorized payments were setup years ago when I created my Koodo account back in 2013 with no issues.

“was there any expired date change with the card?”

-I changed the credit card information in 2021 when I received a new card.

“As well, did it work before you moved it to the seasonal hold?”

-The payments were coming out regularly, as expected prior to the seasonal hold.

“I would suggest you to reach out to the collections agency and find out if there is any way to settle the debt as soon as possible.”

-How do I find out what agency it has been sent to? Since I have not been living in Canada, I have not received any letters or e-mails from Koodo or any collections agency, so I have no idea who is trying to collect from me. I only know it’s been sent to collections because I saw it on my credit report.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

“When you setup pre-authorized payment with your account, have you received any confirmation email from Koodo?”

-The pre-authorized payments were setup years ago when I created my Koodo account back in 2013 with no issues.

“was there any expired date change with the card?”

-I changed the credit card information in 2021 when I received a new card.

“As well, did it work before you moved it to the seasonal hold?”

-The payments were coming out regularly, as expected prior to the seasonal hold.

“I would suggest you to reach out to the collections agency and find out if there is any way to settle the debt as soon as possible.”

-How do I find out what agency it has been sent to? Since I have not been living in Canada, I have not received any letters or e-mails from Koodo or any collections agency, so I have no idea who is trying to collect from me. I only know it’s been sent to collections because I saw it on my credit report.

The details of the collection agency should be listed on your credit report. Have you contacted the credit bureau for more information? 

“The details of the collection agency should be listed on your credit report.”

-I have found out the information for the collections agency, sent an e-mail, and scheduled a callback.

“Have you contacted the credit bureau for more information?”

-I have not contacted the credit bureau. Now that I have the collections agency information, should I still contact the credit bureau? Is there anything that can be done to remedy this situation and repair the damage that has been done to my credit?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

“The details of the collection agency should be listed on your credit report.”

-I have found out the information for the collections agency, sent an e-mail, and scheduled a callback.

“Have you contacted the credit bureau for more information?”

-I have not contacted the credit bureau. Now that I have the collections agency information, should I still contact the credit bureau? Is there anything that can be done to remedy this situation and repair the damage that has been done to my credit?

Since you have already reached out to the collection agency, you can wait for them to retrieve your account and pay off the outstanding balance. Unfortunately, your credit rating is already affected, but you can change it around. 

“Unfortunately, your credit rating is already affected, but you can change it around,”

-My score can be fixed if Koodo informs the credit bureau of the error and updates it. This is why I’m trying to talk to a representative of Koodo so I can determine what occurred to cause this problem in the first place. I don’t see why I should just have to accept that my credit is ruined by someone else’s actions (or inaction in this case). I have no issue paying the bills, but they should have been automatically in the first place, which is the problem here.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

You are able to schedule a callback to your number, even though you are out of country. You will not be charged as long as its to your Koodo number. It sounds like a good idea to talk to a rep to find out what happened, although if it went to collections, your account is likely cancelled, and your account likely no longer functional. And you'd have to remove the seasonal hold, if it weren't cancelled altogether. If you like, we can flag a rep here to find out more info on what happened and potentially get the credit issue resolved.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

“Unfortunately, your credit rating is already affected, but you can change it around,”

-My score can be fixed if Koodo informs the credit bureau of the error and updates it. This is why I’m trying to talk to a representative of Koodo so I can determine what occurred to cause this problem in the first place. I don’t see why I should just have to accept that my credit is ruined by someone else’s actions (or inaction in this case). I have no issue paying the bills, but they should have been automatically in the first place, which is the problem here.

You should research what you can and cant do when dealing with a collections agency.

Typically as part of the settlement, you can negotiate the payment amount along with correcting some issues with your credit report