Koodo Community
Question

Occasional Send/Receive Texts Overseas

• 8 December 2023
  • 1 reply

I’ll be in the Middle East for a month or so and want to be able to use my Koodo monthly prepaid plan to send and receive texts. I won’t be using voice at all. EasyRoam is ridiculously expensive for me needs. My questions are:

•  During my stay in the Middle East, what is the cost of receivng a text from Canada? If it’s different, what is the cost of receiving a text from another country?
  • What is the cost of sending a text to Canada? If it’s different, what is the cost of sending a text to another country

I’m honestly a bit underwhelmed by the lack of clear cost info from Koodo. It seems like all it wants to do is pitch EasyRoam. 

Thanks for your help!

This topic has been closed for comments

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Simply put, prepaid accounts cannot roam outside of the US. You will not be able to use it at all.

Sure, it’s an easy 16 dollars a day and they keep upping the limit of total cost. It’s quite the cash cow.

If you opt for a postpaid plan, then yes, it’s free to receive texts anywhere in the world. The cost to send is usually 60 cents per 1 outgoing SMS (160 characters).

My suggestion, since you likely want to stay on prepaid (unless you want postpaid), is to get a Canadian voip line or use a roaming esim company. Then you can send/receive texts for pretty cheap.