Koodo Community
Question

Need to dispute a $12 charge I didn't know about which was sent to collections and affected my credit score

• 21 August 2023
  • 6 replies

Hi,

I am a former Koodo customer who used Koodo for about a couple years before switching to Rogers.

I asked the retail store to see if I have any leftover balance to pay and I was told there is no balance.

I made a switch to Rogers with the same phone number I used from Koodo, and I have since been using the services from Rogers.

Recently, I found out my credit score was affected drastically in the past couple months, so I did my own investigation through TransUnion just to find out that Koodo sent a $12 charge to the collections.

I would like to know more details about $12 fee since I did not receive any email regarding the charge and I would like to ask Koodo to request removal of this fee.

Thanks,
Eun Ho

This topic has been closed for comments

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Do you still have your account number? I can flag a rep for more info on what the final charge was if you like. How long has it been? If it hasn’t gone to collections yet, you should still able to pay Koodo directly.

In general, when you end a service, you later receive a final bill. In Koodo’s case, you are given 90 days after cancelling your service of access to your self-serve account, so you can review and pay your final bill.

Yes my account number is ******89, mobile number was ********48 and I transferred my old number which was ********76. 

If you could help me find out why I was charged the $12 fee and flag a rep for more info, possibly request to remove to TransUnion that would be awesome. 

I did talk to a rep from TransUnion since the $12 fee was already sent to collections and was informed that I could dispute through TransUnion however the best way is to ask the company to request removal of the collection.

Please let me know the best way this could be solved, as my credit score went down by almost 150 points!

Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

The  credit score system truly is brutal. I’ve flagged a rep to assist.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hello @2001eunho 

We understand that the credit system is difficult, to say the least. That’s why we want to make sure that we notify our customers of charges present on the account and provide enough access to cover them in order to avoid impacts.

We’ve looked into the situation and because the cancelation was through a port out, there was no interaction with a dedicated agent over the phone. As it was ported out, to a different provider, this probably happened at a retailer which handle services for multiple providers. 

For the account, we can see that the port out was processed after the invoice was released. Due to that, the invoice was recalculated in order to reflect the charge from the start of the bill cycle day to the day of the port out, which would be a valid charge. Details on proration here.

We can see a cancelation notification, that was send via e-mail, which provides information about what to expect. Image bellow.

The Self Serve account will also remain active for 60-90 days after the cancelation, for you to check the last invoice and make any remaining payments, if any. 

The credit card that was set for preauthorized pay expired in the month of march, before the cancelation and the final invoice. A manual payment was required.

There was also a final invoice notification sent to the e-mail on the account, as shown in the picture bellow. (final amount will differ due to past due fees or collection interest) 

Your payment history with Koodo is reported to credit bureaus, so it’s important to pay your bill in full every month to avoid a negative impact to your credit score. Details about past due here. 

Hi, 

Thanks for clarifying the situation. 

I just went through all the e-mails in my inbox as well as spams and trash with the search word ‘koodo’ to see if i have missed any kinds of notifications from koodo. 

You said the cancellation notification was sent, as well as the final notification, however i have NOT received neither email.

Could you check on your system to make sure the notification was sent to this email address at*********@gmail.com ?

This is the email address I have provided on all my services, and unfortunately this is my first time seeing that image. 

From my perspective, I did all my due diligence to make sure my balance is cleared which included double checking with the retail I have no more balanced owed to koodo.

As a customer who never had problem with the payments with Koodo before, this seems extremely unfair that my credit score was negatively affected due to just not paying $12 fee that never reached me.

Please review if the system had the correct email address and if not, have this charge reversed so my history from the TransUnion is clear.

Thanks,

Eun Ho

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I get where you are coming from. 

For security and privacy reasons, we masked the e-mail, account and phone numbers provided here in public. 

The e-mail used for those notifications was the the same one that was connected to your Self Serve account, where you received all previous notifications from us. The e-mails on our side show as sent, as all the previous ones. The Self Serve account was active for 60-90 days after the cancelation, so at that time, it could be accessed in order to check the final and past invoices. 

We have limited access in regards to some actions here over social media. If you need more information, feel free to reach out to our Financial Team by scheduling a call-back via our Koodo Assist