Koodo Community
Solved

Falsely charged for US roaming

• 2 March 2023
  • 5 replies

I got dinged for a US roaming charge on Feb 19 and 20. I did go into US on Feb 18 and used roaming data. However, I was at the hotel and kept using their wifi. I even disabled roaming once I got to the hotel on Feb 18. I would like a customer support personnel to take a closer look if possible. Thanks.

icon

Best answer by Flo Koodo 2 March 2023, 20:18

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Did you have both data roaming and data turned off on the phone? Or just data roaming?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @gz_xiao 

Upon checking, we can see that there was data usage made on 19th and data used + outgoing texts on 20.

Any usage made except for incoming text messages will trigger the Easy Roam fee.

More about how to avoid  unwanted roaming charges, you can find here 

You can check the detailed usage in self serve https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/monitoring-your-data-self-serve

@Flo Koodo  Gotcha. So when the plan says “Unlimited international messaging (text & picture)* “, it actually means “can only receive texts internationally”.

@Allan M Do you mean just disabling data isn’t enough? Although on second look my pixel phone has this Google Chat feature where data is used to send text instead of SMS.

If I travel in the future, what settings should I change to avoid this? Disable roaming data, disable data, anything else?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@Flo Koodo  Gotcha. So when the plan says “Unlimited international messaging (text & picture)* “, it actually means “can only receive texts internationally”.

@Allan MDo you mean just disabling data isn’t enough? Although on second look my pixel phone has this Google Chat feature where data is used to send text instead of SMS.

If I travel in the future, what settings should I change to avoid this? Disable roaming data, disable data, anything else?

Your safest bet is to take out your sim card.  But if you want to leave your sim in to receive incoming sms, you need need to turn off data roaming and data.  Then have airplane mode on.  It would also be best to not restart your phone as the restart process can leak data before those settings get applied.

@Flo Koodo  Gotcha. So when the plan says “Unlimited international messaging (text & picture)* “, it actually means “can only receive texts internationally”?

I am pretty sure “Unlimited international messaging (text & picture)*” is referring to calls made while IN Canada to anywhere in the world.