Koodo Community
Question

EasyRoaming charge

• 6 December 2022
  • 2 replies

I recently travelled to Mexico and then the US. I was gone 19 days.

When I was at the airport in Canada I turned my phone to Airplane mode and turned off cellular data. I never turned it back on until landing back in Canada. (each easyroaming day says “1 minute” from the country).

My bill has 5 days of EasyRoaming charges. 4 for Mexico (not consecutive) and one for US. $67+tax

I scheduled a call. Alex kept me on the phone for 30 minutes. Eventually he offered me $8, $15, then $20. I said no. I want to speak to a supervisor.

He said the supervisor would call me back. in 2 hours. I have not received the call.

This is predatory. The CRTC needs to be informed of this practice - although I am sure they are aware.

How do I get this charged removed?

This topic has been closed for comments

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Did you turn off the airplane mode when you traveled to Mexico and US?

Was data roaming ON? Also, which event triggered easyroam?

Hi Dinh,

No, as i said, Airplane mode was ON and cellular data OFF the entire trip.

Apparently one text message went through on each of the days I was charged. (Who would use one text on a day - if I had know I was being robbed, I would have used the cellular all that day instead of wifi.)

Francisco from Koodo called me back to say that it must be an iPhone 12 problem, that somehow Apple allowed a cell network to be used. The solution going forward when travelling is to “manually select carrier, and select Koodo,” and because Koodo isn’t available outside Canada, it won’t be used.

My $67 change has been reduced to by $40.

I’m still not satisfied. These are bogus charges and EVERYONE knows it.