Koodo Community
Question

dispute? how? how do I contact koodo to dispute charges??

• 17 May 2023
  • 9 replies

Hello,

I have been looking for contact information for Koodo. can someone here please help me. I travelled to the states and didn’t realize there are 2 “free” easy roam options. International and US that are not activated automatically for some reason… if its free, it should be enabled by default? would be a nice Quality of Life option for the customers… I hate these dirty tactics.

anyway, I turned on Easy Roam US for the 1 day i needed the phone. I then turned Cell Data off as well as Data Roam, and they stayed off. but for each day I was in the States my account shows a 1min call each day for $14 charge each time. how is this possible? I made 1 call, 1 day and thats it… I didn’t make any of these other calls.

I would like to talk to someone from Koodo about this.  

:(

This topic has been closed for comments

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Have you sent SMS while in the US? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hello,

I have been looking for contact information for Koodo. can someone here please help me. I travelled to the states and didn’t realize there are 2 “free” easy roam options. International and US that are not activated automatically for some reason… if its free, it should be enabled by default? would be a nice Quality of Life option for the customers… I hate these dirty tactics.

anyway, I turned on Easy Roam US for the 1 day i needed the phone. I then turned Cell Data off as well as Data Roam, and they stayed off. but for each day I was in the States my account shows a 1min call each day for $14 charge each time. how is this possible? I made 1 call, 1 day and thats it… I didn’t make any of these other calls.

I would like to talk to someone from Koodo about this.  

:(

Can you provide a screenshot of your bill with a detailed list of charges? It is possible there may have been some usage which may have triggered the Easy Roam feature. Make sure to remove any personal details, as this is a public forum.

What details are you looking for? Under calls it says 1min for $14 on multiple days

yes I sent texts, however I had cell data and roaming off so how does my data still get used? Texts should just get blocked as to not circumvent the features built in to protect customers. 

how do I dispute the charges? Do I ask the bank to stop all charges to Koodo to get their attention?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

What details are you looking for? Under calls it says 1min for $14 on multiple days

yes I sent texts, however I had cell data and roaming off so how does my data still get used? Texts should just get blocked as to not circumvent the features built in to protect customers. 

how do I dispute the charges? Do I ask the bank to stop all charges to Koodo to get their attention?

Hiw many days did you use text service?

If you sent text messages, made and received calls, and used data, then you get roaming charges.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

That is why you were charged. Text messages that are sent while you are abroad would trigger the Easy Roam feature. Do you see that on your bill?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

If you want to review what caused the Easy Roam charges you can follow the instructions here

Thank you for the help everyone. I always thought turning “Cell Data” and “Roaming off” would prevent data from being used. I’ll get over these charges, as I did send texts, but wasn’t aware that it used data as I had wifi in most places… 

Can anyone confirm if “Airplane mode” is on that it indeed blocks actual data use?

Is there no call centre for Koodo ? This seems like a strange way to get help from my phone provider. I greatly appreciate all your responses.

cheers

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Roaming and data have nothing in common. You get roaming if one or the other happens

1. You send a text
  2. You use yout phone for a call
  3. You use data

No matter which you do, when you use someone else’s network to do any of the above = roaming charge. Turning on Airplane Mode would help prevent the charges related to the  texte messages, but turning data off AND roaming off is the best way. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Thank you for the help everyone. I always thought turning “Cell Data” and “Roaming off” would prevent data from being used. I’ll get over these charges, as I did send texts, but wasn’t aware that it used data as I had wifi in most places… 

Can anyone confirm if “Airplane mode” is on that it indeed blocks actual data use?

Is there no call centre for Koodo ? This seems like a strange way to get help from my phone provider. I greatly appreciate all your responses.

cheers

Yes in theory, turning off “cellular data” and “roaming data” should prevent roaming data use.  Phones do not typically have an option to turn “roaming in general” off.  However in my experience, it is not foolproof and data leakage can happen (especially if you restart your phone).

Airplane mode is a better option, but you will not be able to see missed incoming calls and incoming SMS texts.  And restarting a phone may result in data leakage too.

The 100% method would be to take out your sim card while travelling